back to article HD DVD fights back in the US

HD DVD managed to cut itself a rather larger slice of US hi-def player sales in the third week of January, according to one analyst group's figures. But a rival market watcher still believes that HD DVD will be dead before 2009. US Standalone HD Player Sales BD vs HD DVD Source: NPD According to the NPD Group, HD DVD …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Gates Horns

re: If the PS3 is primarily for games ?

You make several mistakes in your rant.

You imply that HD DVD is red laser based. This is untrue, both Blu-ray and HD DVD use blue laser.

You also say that Blu-ray is slow. It may be, if you look at Microsoft BS stats, which falsely claim that the 360 has a 12x DVD drive, however if you scratch the surface of Microsofts BS specs, you see the real picture. The drive specs show that 12x is only achieved on the 360 for single layer DVD. for dual layer (DVD9), it's actually 8x. Now because the drive is CLV, and the transfer rate is only achiveable on the outer part of the disc, the rest of the disc runs slower, the inner part of the disc considerably slower. Blu-ray on the other hand, uses CAV, and has consistent data rates across the entire disc surface.

In short, a small part of the 360's DVD surface is marginally faster than the PS3's Blu-ray disc, but the rest of it, is similar, or vastly slower, depending where on the disc it's located.

Stop

PS3 & 360 Factor

Both these units are so ungodly loud that it is unbearable to watch movies while they are both operating. After the RROD fix (x2) my 360 is noticeably quieter but still way too loud for comfortable, cozy movie watching with the kids. The PS3 falls in the same boat.

Flame

@Don

Rubbish mate - no idea what you are on about. I have an XBOX and a PS3. Xbox is loud and thrashy, BUT(!!) the PS3 is considerably quieter. I'm in no way saying that it's as quiet as a mouse, but it is definetly considerably quieter.

Now, watching a film at normal volume, you can hear the Xbox whirring away. PS3? You would be hard pushed to hear it - and this is a 60Gb which has the 'old fans style' in it. The 40gbs that i have witnessed are again quieter than the 60Gb..

@ All

One fact that seems to be illuding most people here is it's not down to hardware sold, it's discs sold. The more discs, the more advantage over the competition.

Another one is this: Sony is NOT (repeating for the thick!) NOT the sole 'maker' of Blue Ray. in fact, are they actually making ANY units?? Unlikely as they purely developed the laser and licenced it out to other makers.

Third and FINAL fact: Anyone that says that Sony is crap at making things is just... er.. well; I'm going to be decent and say they must like Alba, or (oh Lord..) Matsui.. I have used sony ever since I had my first Radio. yes they are expensive. yes they are a large company that brings out the commie twats with rants and raves. BUT they are good quality. You don't just pay for the name, you pay for their R&D which is virtually second to none IMHO. It's like blaming Shell in the Uk for petrol prices.. it's the friggin' Gov!!

So nerrr :op

See You Next Tuesday

Stop

Big Deal

So Blu and HD sell 24000 combined - wuhp-de-whoo!!! clearly everything is now decided! Compared to a weekly sales figure of 300,000 - 500,000 for regular dvd players, you now have all the proof that the market has decided and there is no more hope for HD DVD. You guys all need to step out of your tiny little, perfectionist world and realise the vast number of have made no choice, and to be honest, couldn't care. If a High Def disc is going to cost twice as much as the SD version, 90% of potential buyers will opt for the SD version, end of discussion. Quality is not a deciding factor for the VAST majority, convenience and price is. Why else would you have MP3, Wii, movie players on Ipods & phones etc. People chose DVD over VHS, not for the quality, but the convenience. The same will happen to HD.

Whoever sells their Blu or HD player and media at a price that is comparable to SD and that is truely plug and play (no patches etc required) will convince the masses that the improved quality is an added bonus. That will be the winning format. End of discussion.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums