back to article The 'blem wit' error messages

When I was young I built up a collection of system error messages. Ok, look, it's not as sad as collecting stamps! It is? Really? Oh well, never mind. Anyway, my recent piece about Borland putting rude words in Quattro Pro got me thinking it was time to revisit that collection. Some of them date back to the days of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Rob Aley
    Gates Horns

Tablet PC

Not quite an error message, but one that wouldn't let me pass :

I was re-installing Windows XP Tablet Edition on my Motion Computing slate (i.e. no keyboard) Tablet PC.

The installation went fine, until the point Microsoft asked me to press F8 to accept the terms of the license.

It now runs Ubuntu.

2. Peter Fenelon

error msg

Windows for Workgroups once took a perverse delight in telling me that drive C: was out of paper.

I think it was something terribly exotic like trying to use Beame & Whiteside's TCP/IP suite to print to a network printer...

You can't beat "BDOS ERR ON A:" from CP/M, though, can you?

And if you fancy a laugh, google "hodie natus est radici frater".

3. GrahamT
    Coat

Airline systems

In the olden days of command driven green screen reservation systems, typing *RAPE gave the error message "ILLEGAL ENTRY"

I wrote a system using these green screens with just 32 characters for error messages. My first attempts were turned down as "Too terse and technical" and I was told to rewrite them to tell the user what to do, not what the problem was.

I set up a dummy system with the new messages and showed it to the QA guy for his OK, telling him that I had had to use the live production system with 3000 users. He entered a sequence he (and I) knew would pop up an error. It now said "PHONE JOHN xxxxxx ON 01nnnnnn" with his name and home phone number. Oddly he didn't find it funny that 3000 users now had (he believed) his home phone number. He saw the joke when I explained that only he had that version.

4. Michael Kean

Wrong...

I had a good one today - a laser etcher with bad engrish.

Pressing some button it said "Sorry, you have the wrong kind of dog to do this action."

5. James Pickett
    Gates Horns

Disk space

Several times I've gone to uninstall MS apps and have been told that it is checking for sufficent disk space.

My favourite (so far) is "Word cannot edit the unknown".

6. Robert Ramsay

on a Unix machine in the mid-eighties...

...a friend of mine typed

shergar

of course, the system responded with

shergar: not found

7. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

AIX

One I remember from an IBM RT/6150 station waaaaay back:

"qdaemon appears to be dead or asleep"

8. TeeCee Gold badge

Not just the message.

I sent a link to this lot to a friend. He responded with something so funny that I just had to share.

Many moons ago he did some customisation on a system for some users. Not having access to the code, this consisted of working out the function from the results and putting in some replacement modules in. To be 100% sure, he dropped in a little routine to check all the data afterwards and ensure everything was in order. It produced a couple of error messages thus:

"If you are seeing this message, the system is SERIOUSLY fucked. Call <xxxxxxxx> now....." and the usual "Press enter to continue" or somesuch.

Pressing enter gets you:

"You haven't called <xxxxxxxx> have you??? GO AND DO IT NOW!!!!"

One night, some time later, he was awoken by a user whose first question, asked in all seriousness was:

"How the hell have you managed to interface this software to our telephone system?"

Priceless!

9. Martyn
    Linux

Pythonesque

on OpenVMS :

$exit 2932

%SYSTEM-F-FISH, my hovercraft is full of eels

10. Paul

Error: Please insert title

Somewhat ironically, my first try at posting this with the title 0/10 resulted in the error "There are some problems with your comment: * A title is required."

"think it was when you tried to login to the "Nobody" system account like it was a normal user account: 'You don't exist. Go away.'"

I discovered this one when a root typo resulted in /etc being rm -rf'ed.

For trs err msgs, the Sinclair ZX81 is hard to beat, with such gems as "2/20" indicating an undefined variable (error 2) on line 20. I preferred the Speccy's "Nonsense in BASIC" error though. :)

"just one light on the dashboard which would light when there was a problem"

Sounds like he designed the instrumentation in the Ford Pinto. It has a single "check engine" light which could mean overheating or low oil. Experience tells me it's going to be low oil...

11. Opsmgr
    Flame

Don't panic

How about from the SunOS days : Panic - Unable to panic.

12. David

BBS days...

Still remember the one that Maximus would give if a BBS SysOp tried to upload from the machine the BBS ran on :

Error 420: SysOp confused

13. Richard Thomas

Not an error message, but still amusing

When I worked at a government site years ago one of the techies decided to name the database server "elvis". I tried to educate the users of my app to do basic troubleshooting before they called me, including the use of the ping command to see if they had connectivity. Of course on solaris when they ran "ping elvis" the response was "elvis is alive" :-)

14. Neil Kay

Netware 3.12

Who can forget the immortal:

"Richard Keil Memorial Abend #27"

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.