back to article Warner Bros gives all its hi-def loving to Blu-ray

Warner Bros is abandoning HD-DVD to settle down in monogamous bliss with Sony's Blu-ray. The company today cited "consumer demand" for its decision to stop selling HD-DVD-format movie titles at the end of May. It is the only movie major to sell high-definition DVDs in both formats, but has already tired of playing the field. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Paris Hilton

@Failed and Successful Sony Formats

I have some isues with your logic

"Successful:

Video8 (beat VHS-C)" never heard of it

"HiVideo8 (beat SVHS-C)" ditto

"MemoryStick (is equal to CompactFlash, SD, miniSD, etc.)" only just equal all most all non sony devices I have seen use sd

"CD (with Phillips) (beat, uh everything)" allmost everyboady makes cd's even if sony started it it is now universal

"Blu-ray (with Phillips and Matsushita/Panasonic) (beat HD-DVD)" has yet to be deturmened the war is not over

a sucess is only a sucess if you win a war pepol care about

Stop

Image quality jerk-offery

As if wine snots and audio snots weren't enough, we now have HD snots. I'm sure that if they accidentally played the SD side of one of their precious HD-DVDs, they would still go on and on about how you can "see every tiny detail" and how they could never live without HD. Reminds me of when I was watching a VHS a while ago and a friend came over and was blown away by the image quality.

Flame

My ha'pennies...

We got a 1080p set a little while ago, and will sort out a PS3 in the not too distant future.

Reasons why:

- Xbox & HD DVD is technically v good indeed (esp, online) but it makes so much racket it sounds like an industrial dishwasher on acid, it also looks like a bunch of plastic boxes glued together at random...

- The PS3 can play SACDs as well. which for me is a major plus point, I can then 'cupboard' the current DVD player and move the standalone SACD player elsewhere.

As to those who believe that there is minimal quality difference between HD and SD, I would love to know what you drank for lunch before benchmarking them....

And that is before the HD audio options are considered (which are pretty good on BR as well as hd-dvd).

Flame

DVDs abd gaming consoles

Gaming console were irrelevant to DVD sales. It's when the players got to be affordable (< $150) and titles became available that sales took off.

That and PRON dvds became cheaper.

Anonymous Coward

PS3 SACD???

@My ha'pennies

40Gb PS3 will not do SACD. That's one of the nice things that Sony had to cut out to get the price down. Suspect that its only a firmware addition to re-enable it though.

Re: PS3 SACD???

Yet another thing they crippled the 40GB version of the console with? Makes me glad that I bought a 60GB version just before they started selling the 40GB's. But I suspect you're right - it is probably just a firmware fix as the actual drive is the same. Perhaps Sony will eventually re-enable it, once they've sold enough 80GB units.

Unhappy

The fat lady is practising her scales

Aye, it all looks over now. Stories this morning of Paramount and Universal jumping ship. Thankfully I only own three HD-DVD discs but I still feel robbed having shelled out on the player. Anyone want to buy an HD-DVD copy of Bladerunner?

Thumb Down

How much for making a hd disk, either type?

for me (a sony stay away), the real problem with sony is that when u buy a sony product, u stick with the "standards" that sony wants to monopolize, once monopolized they can manage the standard the way tehy want to. And now with this "HD War" they just want to sell more players than their competitors, nothing more, nothing related to give freedom to consumer or give the "best Hd experience" they just want to sell more players and dictate the new standards on the area.

whe u buy a sony laptop, video camera or photo you should use Memory Stick, but if u buy the same from other companies u can chose from MMC, SD, MicroSD, MiniSD and maintain the same format for all your gadgets.

if sony and the film industry wants the consumer to chose on the standard they want, the should sell the movies in the two formats but not as 1 case for hd-dvd and 1 case for bluray, they should sell them together in a single case just as some movies come in "wide screen" and "standard screen" in the same case.

for the film companies that should not be a big problem because of the manufacturing costs of each disk is less than .50 cents...

this is not like VHS and Betamax, the cost of the tapes in that years where not as low as now are the discs...

i can not understand why there should be only one standard in HD, thats like having hundreds of car makers but only a car model to chose from.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums