Feeds

back to article BitTorrenters seek sanctuary in Pirate Bay

Despite a series of law enforcement and other attacks on illegal file-sharing this year the number of people using the anti-copyright BitTorrent tracker Pirate Bay has almost doubled. TorrentFreak reports that Pirate Bay has leapt from about 4.3 million users at the end of 2006 to more than 8 million at the end of this year. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

@Gordon

"What is being "stolen" is the "right" to make copies and distribute the music."

That is not true. With copyright infringement, the copyright holder still keeps ALL the original rights. I find it difficult to fathom how you could think they would loose any of those rights when someone copies their music.

However, when you say "I don't think it's going away." and "mainstream music is chiefly commoditized ...", so people "feel no connection to the artists." then I'm with you all the way. Even disregarding the quality of the music, many people don't value it, nor the artists, that much. That's the audience. Most people take music for granted. For good or for bad, we're going to have to find a way to live with that.

Go

burn in hell for retardation

It pisses me off when people bring god into this like he'd give a testicle whether i shared the latest greenday song. Its immoral to use god to justify your greed and selfishness. In fact id go as far to say its blasphemous to put fear in people hearts, to satisfy your own agenda.

Sharing is that, sharing, its not consumerism, its not theft, its sharing.

IP is an idea which someone has proposed to "own". This idea to me sounds impractical as no one "owns" anything. There is no godly right to ideas. They are that ideas. And music is an idea. imagine if someone had copyrighted the "C" Chord in music!!

Its just this .. watch "steal this movie II" its on the pirate bay it is great. Show ed how people tried to ban the book! Based on the assumption it was the devils work and people shouldn't be allowed to share information.

Its gutless greedy imperial to say that one "owns" a lyric, chord formation or even an image.

We need to change our worldly perspective and embrace a practical new application of law and though for IP. As using god to delivery your sentiment doesn't cut it any more.

@Ole Juul

> With copyright infringement, the copyright holder still keeps ALL the original rights.

True, but I suspect that Gordon is referring to the removal of rights to generate income *from the copies that were downloaded for free*. This assumes that for each download of a CD, the physical sale of that CD has been bypassed - but that's simplistic because it doesn't account for the 'try before you buy' downloads.

Having downloaded a CD to see what it's like, it's possible to discover for free that it's crap - which neatly avoids wasting money on a physical purchase and the downloaded copy is dumped immediately. Alternatively, a physical CD still gets purchased because the downloaded copy quality is crap but the content is excellent.

Ade
Thumb Up

search engine

type - <enter hollywood blockbuster here> filetype:torrent - into google.... is that illegal?

they cant lock anyone up for looking....

Flame

If downloading is a sin then. . .

I'm on the highway to hell!! Don't stop me!!

I'm innocent of all charges guv'nor

My VHS collection is 200+, my TAPE collection is 100+, my CD collection is 300+, my DVD collection is 200+, my RECORD (singles and albums) collection is 10+ (binned most of them due to warping).

I don't feel any guilt or remorse from downloading a torrent, mainly because if it is worth the money, I buy it.

Test drive it first, then if you like it, buy it!

JC

@Kenny Millar

Kenny I love you for trying to save the world. Now quit piddling around and do something that matters instead of worrying over people enjoying culture that they weren't going to pay for either way.

@CSQuake

> I don't feel any guilt or remorse from downloading a torrent, mainly because if it is worth the money, I buy it.

Fersackerly... At least 6 of my 1,000+ CD collection were bought as a result of listening to a 'stolen' download - and at least 3 were NOT bought as a result of listening to a download. (and after paying out *that* amount of dosh for shop-purchased CDs I claim the right to have a few freebies) But in all cases I no longer have or need the downloaded file - so who's lost out here? (*no* Kenny, please don't answer. It's already way out of your depth)

@ name

"and seven, EXACTLY seven, angels can dance on the head of a pin."

unless they are doing a tango in witch case it is 8

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.