back to article New Jersey scraps death penalty

New Jersey's state assembly yesterday voted 44-36 to abolish the death penalty - the first state to do so since Iowa and West Virginia scrapped the punishment in 1965. The move was prompted by a special state commission's findings that the death penalty was "a more expensive sentence than life in prison, had not deterred murder …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Heart

@Dave Harris, Colin Jackson, et. al

If Colin would look at Dave Harris he might reconsider his comment about whose side is "strident" and "angry".

By the way, where did I comment about my position on this matter? Talk about knee-jerk - so many of you define the term.

I merely wrote that New Jersey, the state where something called "Megan's Law" originated had reversed the death penalty by legislative fiat and not by the will of the people. It will in all probability be reinstated in one or two legislative cycles. It will definitely be a campaign issue for the next campaign for state governor.

Re: My Two Cents

If prisons are getting overcrowded, maybe we should start killing off people who are caught stealing cars, or any other crime for that matter.

Thank goodness Australia killed off that punishment decades ago.

Some numbers anyone?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/article.php?scid=12&did=168#stateswithvwithout

Flame

@kain preacher

"Prisoners often have to worry about being rape, stabbed or killed"

Well thank goodness here outside the prison walls we are totally free from those worries.

Pirate

Kill them all

The bible demands 'a life for a life', and you can't say fairer than that. God demands a death and by christ we should give him one. So killers in NJ weren't scared of a death penalty? oh well, they'll be qauking at the thought of getting away scott-free. Why do we let these namby-pamby politicians get away with making these type of decisions. Bring back the hemp!

Flame

My thoughts

My two cents:

The point of a penitentiary was to encourage repentance. Punishment used to be (in the US in the 1800s) simple, death by hanging or lashes etc.... Two problems occurred. First, people turned the hanging into a circus. Second, a philosophical view arose that stated that humans were only animals and needed to be retrained. The combination of these factors led to our prison system.

Now, I don't think that their is a simple solution here. The fact is that execution is good in some situations. If someone committed a coldblooded murder and was clearly guilty, then I don't want to spend my tax dollars on stuffing them in a cell for decades. How does that improve them? I am not in favor of barbarism, but lets not be coddle those being executed either. They weren't coddling their victims.

But, if you read the OT, God commanded that an investigation be made. If no criminal could be found to be clearly guilty, then they closed the case. They didn't go on a witch hunt.

Might be a good thing to take some of these criminals of non-violent crimes and force them to work for the state to work for their own room and board. Teach them to work instead of crime and keep them out of trouble.

I can't see how a prison is generally useful. Steal? Force them to work till they pay it off. What they skipped town? When caught, the sentence would be increased.

Meh, just my ramblings, and not in a great order either. Sorry about that.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums