Feeds

back to article Only bicarbonate of soda can save mankind!

A US firm has come up with a plan to turn the carbon dioxide emitted by coal-burning power plants into bicarbonate of soda. Joe David Jones, founder of Skyonic, says he can capture 90 per cent of the carbon coming out of a smokestack and turn it into a harmless baking ingredient thanks to his Skymine process. The "baking soda" …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Baking Soda Swimming Pool

This is a nice idea, I like it although if it gets applyed to all the worlds power station we'll have too much baking soda than we know what to do with, it cannot all be used in baking. We'll probably end up burying the excess, like we do with everything else that we don't know where to put.

Not sure about banding around the term pollutant though, it seems its definition is simular to that of noise "any unwanted sound", and that depends very much on your persepective. The trouble is, having too much of one "unwanted" substance in a particular place may be defined as a pollutant, that substance could be anything from huge piles of cucumber in my sodding sandwiches all the time or vast amounts of radioactive material.

The problem here is really about maintaining balance within the eco-system, without creating any new problems to deal with, and one mans pollutant might be anothers mans/creatures gold.

I'm off too research man bear pig on the interweb thingy now.

Pirate

Mass cure for ulcers?

Well at least we'll always have plenty bicarb on hand for treating mouth ulcers. Although were does the heavy metals also extracted go?

Anonymous Coward

Global Warming solution

If we made lots of the stuff and worked out how to bury it deep in a log narrow hole with the right geometry, then poured water down it, we might just succeed in shifting the Earth into a wider orbit further from the Sun, where of course it would be cooler.

So after I finish my Campari at leisure, hand me my Nobel Prize collection gown, I have a taxi to Stockholm to catch. The polar bears want me to be their King.

Alert

RE: china

"Already, China has claimed that they should be given carbon credit for their population control program."

well, at least they have one. okay, it's shit, encourages infanticide and child kidnapping but nobody else would even consider the only logical conclusion; there's too bloody many of us.

as Bill Hicks said: "stop rutting for just one minute. let's work out this food/air deal."

Orwellian?

No, a pollutant is whatever you DON'T want in there.

Tantalum ions in your GaAs laser is a pollutant (unless you wanted it to fail as a laser). When you're making a high-tensile alloy of steel, it isn't.

Ideally, we would like to put fuel in the car and get motion. ANYTHING other than that is pollution: we aren't driving our cars to create water, CO2 or anything else. We're just looking for motion.

@Nexox Enigma

That would be 120 years worth of use as long as we don't have to have coal powered transport, yes?

Anonymous Coward

Soylent Green is People

When we think about a pollutant we really are looking at things harmful to us and the ecosystem which we depend upon.

C02 and 02 is used by plants, 02 less so but it is necessary for most plant growth, without which, green wafers all round.

Sure, industry and our life styles can cause a shift in the ecosystem, but volcanoes and earthquakes do their share as well.

I do think we need to pay heed to the reduction of pollutants hazardous to us and the planet's ability to sustain our lives, but hey the most hazardous thing to mankind is mankind itself.

And part of this global warming charade is the way people are manipulated into focusing attention way from certain areas when the powers that be want to distract. It is also useful in stimulating new areas of business, it keeps people striving to find solutions. So, it is very much a double edged sword.

The truth of the matter is we don't know really if what we assume is harmful is in fact harmful in the long wrong. There may come a day when having that hole in the ozone turned out to be a good thing.

Personally, I think a clean water supply, breathable air, rain that is not acidic, an efficient waste disposal system that supports biodegradability and a more ecosystem centric way to produce goods is what we should be looking at. Not, Al Gore's latest offering to the camp horror flick genre.

Thumb Up

I think -

(sometimes) - that it is a good idea to sequester the CO2 from lekky gen stations as sodium bicarbonate for the very reason that it is easily and cheaply regurgitatable back to CO2.

The bicarbonate should then be stored in disused mines ready for the inevitable explosion of Mt Krakatoa or another asteroid hit. Then, as the new ice age approaches with lightning speed, all the greenies can line up at the mouths of the mines to p down them in order to make CO2 to warm their kids since they are not allowed to buy nukey made lekky for the purpose.

But as the exhaust of CO2 from the mine gathers speed the next greenie in line will cop the full force of the product of the previous greenie, which will be one greenie taking the piss out of another greenie, which will also be a good thing. The clever guys can then put a turbine in the shaft and generate lekky which the greenie will not buy because it is the product of the release of CO2.

All problems solved......

Anonymous Coward

@RE: Stop being so paranoid, Steve

"Tree consume CO2 from photosynthisis and produce 02, at night they reverse the process produce CO2 and consume O2."

When they think nobody is looking, right? Sneaky beggars.

Go

Seems better than nothing

frank denton: "How they manage to produce 'better than food grade baking soda' is a mystery to me".

- I suppose they use fractional crystallisation. They can throw most of the bicarb away (with the heavy metals and other waste). They only need to make a small amount of 'food grade baking soda' to justify their claim.

This is the 2nd time, in the space of a week, I've come across this idea from independent sources. I guess the electricity required to make NaOH from brine is much less than that produced by burning carbon to make CO2. That reaction: NaOH + CO2 => NaHCO3 also creates heat which is what, I believe, power stations use to make electricity.

- I personally think the biggest problem will be getting rid of all that Chlorine made by the electrolysis of brine. PS: Chlorine was used as a poison gas in the 'Great War'.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.