back to article El Reg fires up online standards converter

Well, you asked for it, and now you've got it - we're delighted to announce the launch today of a Reg standards converter which can, at the click of a mouse button, tell you your height in linguine, your other half's weight in Jubs or indeed the speed at which you're currently travelling as a percentage of the theoretical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Coat

Practical units?

Someone suggested Branson as a unit of velocity. Well I would agree that this is a good idea but the value would keep changing. It would also change direction from time to time. So that ruins the idea.

Last week just before I got my coat I had the temerity to suggest that a cubic Smoot might be a Smootic. Clearly I was mad, the word should be Smubit.

The Smubit is a very useful dimension as it is about the volume of a Transit van, just about what a student needs when moving house. Alternatively a room of 4-5 Smubits should be comfortable for most students. If you can only get 1 Smubit you are in the cupboard under the stairs.

Boffin

@Tim C

But the length of a coastline is infinite; Mandelbrot's book uses the fractal nature of coastlines as its starting point! By stating that Sidney Harbour has a circumference of 2292 brontosaurs, you are therefore implying an infinite Brontosaur. Is this a new discovery in the field of relativity? Can we apply this to get to the stars in zero time?

Coat

and yet more...

We need some other "standards" conversion tables please....

currency (whether real or fictional)

doctors (whether real or fictional)

cars (whether from Rover, British Leyland or elsewhere)

and of course the classic

champagne bottles...

Dead Vulture

Your using the Starved Norris..

or even the starved and carved norris, there is deffinatly something missing.

Could your programmer come up with a user submissions database?? this will fix all of the issues.. Not found your unit just add it, with a ratio of another known unit.

there really are too many errors for me to list... I think they are covered above..

Alert

Cups of tea equivalent

I usually work out volumes as multiples of cups of tea. Any chance of adding that to your otherwise excelent translator?

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

What about the "RCH"??????

Forgive the crudity but I AM American after all.

You have forgotten one of the most important standard units of distance or thickness, the C.H. followed by the R.C.H. (otherwise known as Lohans)

Who hasn't said "It's just short by a "C*nt Hair" or used the "finer" unit the Red C.H.

It's a unit of measure almost all males are familiar with and is so flexibly utilized. It can even be referred to as an "RCH on edge" to delineate an even finer division.

Cautionary Note: Not to be to confused with the units BCH or PCH which are so small they are considered to be invisible (Brittany or Paris). Well at least they are after their last Brazilian.

IT Angle

Google?

You know you can do the exact same thing on Google, right?

Just go to www.google.com and type in "5 inches in cm" (http://www.google.com/search?&q=5%20inches%20in%20cm)

Go

Half the physical world is missing!

What about units of energy, charge, magnetism? In my business I need units of attraction (both magnetic and electrostatic), energy (potential and kinetic (Qinetiq?)), power (electrical and mechanical).

I'll leave it to those of a wittier disposition/with more time on there hands to make some suggestions.

Thumb Down

@Vidar Ramdal

But "5 inches in linguni" doesn't work!

Heart

What about the milliHelen?

Brilliant! But you forgot to mention the standard measure of beauty, the milliHelen. In case you didn't know, a milliHelen is defined to be a level of beauty sufficient to launch a single ship... which is still quite a lot.

Alex Z

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums