Feeds

back to article Apple iPhone

We've already reviewed Apple's iPhone, so why are we taking another look? There are several reasons. First, a different reviewer means a different opinion. That applies to any product, of course, but Apple's claim that the iPhone is "revolutionary" perhaps justifies an alternative appraisal. Second, the first review was of a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Anonymous Coward

Ladies like it

Not sure how many women have contributed to this list yet, but an interesting thing to consider is EVERY woman I have shown the iPhone to has swooned and said they wanted it (the phone) immediately.

We geeks tend to overestimate the value of features and technology, and underestimate usability and desirability.

Boring

Yes it's pretty and fully featured for the general population but I couldn't not have GPS in my phone ever, ever again.

I would ask how many iphone owners have ever had a phone with GPS built-in?

I've ditched my 4g ipod, pocket pc, nokia phone, creative Zen (for video playback) and tomtom for the o2 XDA Orbit. It works that well that it's the first phone that I truly shove in my pocket all the time and forget about because it works (for my style of use) flawlessly.

To get a shiny iphone (which of course I want one of the first - if it wasn't old news in the states) - I'd have to give up and go buy a seperate GPS which to me, now, I wouldn't ever, ever do again. I'm sure it'll be fine for the average person in the street though.

But for me - GET WITH THE TIMES APPLE. I like your design, interface and hype control but, like your natty ipod, this stuff has been around for years and you've only gone half way. Please, please, please use the tech that's been invented recently instead of doing old stuff better so we can all have shiny phones.

@ Henry Blackman

I couldn't have said it better myself. It's easy to slate the 02 contracts when you don't actually read what's included in them first.

Dan

You've Missed The Point!!

The iPhone reviewer bashers completely miss the point on this one. It isn't about providing something new, its about making technology very, very simple and easy to use - not technology for the sake of it.

When I buy a gadget I want it to blend into the background and support my life. I don't want to spend time working the settings to get it to do what I want, and it should be as simple as possible to do the things I want to do frequently. I still struggle (after three years) to get my Dell Axim PDA network applications to function correctly in wireless hotspots, and what frustrates me is the endless digging through network settings to find something that was silently reconfigured the last time I docked at work. That's not smart design, that's a pain.

Apple isn't, in my opinion, offering something that hasn't already been available in other portable formats before. What it is doing is focussing on making its platform, and the applications on it, as easy to use as possible. And by and large they do this and get it (almost completely) right. If Tony Smith says that "having used the iPhone as my sole communications device for a time, I think it's bloody marvelous" then I believe him - not because he's a Mac user and predisposed to talk up Apple, but because he's seriously used all the functionality and demonstrated that most of it does exactly what it should - enable him to do what he needs to do, without the device getting in the way.

And BTW, I don't own a Mac, but I do own an iPod, and I think iTunes could do with some improvements... but that's another story.

Anonymous Coward

GROW UP

Reading all this is like looking back at the Spectrum and Commodore arguments I used to hear at school.

The iPhone is a victim of its own hype. It is a consumer phone, which has integrated the iPod Video and a Phone. Some people may argue the iPod lacks functionality, but that has not stopped it selling. Why? It does what it set out to do creates a good user interface and easy navigation to songs. Yes there were other devices that could play more formats, play video, bigger screens but ease of use was not a feature.

The iPhone does not report to be a mobile office or a corporate laptop. It is a consumer phone that contains most features a consumer needs.

The lack of 3G is an issue for many. In my experience whether it be 3G or or GSM if you are on a train for any amount of time you cant get a signal (something to do with the windows) and you cant use it on a tube(yet). When you get to the office you can connect via wifi to that network or at home the same.

I currently have an MDA Vario (HTC) handset. Which I added a few 3rd party applications, which then proceeded to crash every five minutes, so I ended up going back to the factory settings.

I am due for a contract renewal at the time the iPhone is launched in the UK. And as yet the verdict is out while I decide what I need from my phone. The camera is an important part for me.

Law

omg

I'm getting sick of mac-fanatics praising the bloody iPhone... there was no need for ANOTHER apple fan review, there was no need to give it with absolutely no extra new information.... and I only wish you burn in hell for making me read 6 pages of complete trash..... well maybe burn in hell is a little harsh... but it made my point! :)

Anonymous Coward

Wow did someone kind of forget the unlock?

How can you give 90% to a device that is locked? it doesn't even work here. (I know... yet!)

This article should have two ratings, 20% for out of the box iPhone, nice paperweight, and another rating for missed potential!

Yes the UI is nice, yes its fluid and just the way it should be, I too have used one, and really appreciate the excellence of the Jestures, BUT AS SOLD it is lacking in hardware (3G & decent cam & changeable Bat) , and has unacceptable handcuffs.

When I buy a car I dont go around the corner to buy a lock pick!

For these reasons I will not buy an iPhone. 20% - Nice paperweight.

Contract comparsions

You have to laugh at the apologists claiming that the hugely expensive tariff is justified by the outrageous data charges that O2 bilk their other users for.

T-mobile do "unlimited" data for £7.50 a month as an add-on to your contract, 3 do it for a fiver. I believe Vodafone also have something similar. If you have a phone which supports a current data standard then HSPDA makes membership of a service like the cloud more or less an irrelevence.

Anonymous Coward

iPhone, not that Smart really

Where to start:

- can't run the web browser and make a call at the same time, if using EDGE you will miss the call

- no BT2 and A2DP. Does not make sense for a media device

- no built-in GPS

- no 3G and no 3.5G. Unless you use 3.5G you don't what you're missing

- no video recording capability (media device?)

- no Office apps

- limited music playback formats

- no 3rd party apps (so you can't increase the value of the iPhone)

- can't sync Notes (please correct if I am wrong on this one)

- no FM radio (most Smartphones have one now days)

WM6

I could not live without the two features that the iPhone is missing, A2DP and HSDPA.

I'll admit, WM5 is clunky but WM6 is a big improvement over WM5, internet connection sharing (using the phone as a modem) is a doddle, voice command now works properly through my stereo BT headset and because my phone isn't a nice shiny iPhone, I'm not that upset that after about a year of (not very careful) use, it's looking a bit worse for wear.

I updated my T-Mobile Vario II to a generic HTC WM6 image. Now I know I won't get any support from T-mobile now but at least they aren't actively attempting to destroy my phone!

See: http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=6371&tag=nl.e622

Anonymous Coward

"iPhone, not that Smart really" - silly

Haha! It cracks me up that a person can read the (very good) postings above and write a list like the "iPhone, not that Smart really" comment above.

Talk about thick skinned! :)

Here's a thought

If you don't like the iPhone, don't buy it. After much careful deliberation, I will probably get Nokia N95 (an not utilise is media offerings) and for everything else I will get an iPod touch. Cost the same amount of money, okay it is two devices, but it should cover every argument mentioned above... A phone is a Phone and an iPod is an iPod, why confuse the issue...

Anonymous Coward

@Futile - SMS Problems

iPhone is indeed filtering SMS. As I said in an earlier post I put my iPhone SIM into my Treo so that I could go back to being productive. I get a pretty steady stream of SMS messages from 1000000000 usually starting with the text "smpp-vip" So I will guess that at&t and iPhone are using SMS as a control channel and iPhone only lets through whatever it is certain is really for its caretaker and not itself.

I noted that at least one type of gibberish SMS is triggered by leaving a VM on my number, so there is probably a relation to visual voicemail. In fact it appears that VM is stored in the phone because when I listen to it, no phone call is made - my Bluetooth car kit wouldn't play VM and I had to put iPhone to my ear to listen - one more reason I went back to my Treo.

I use the fine program CALLFILTER to nuke the iPhone control SMS since my Treo doesn't need to see them.

Silver badge

In Canada, no human can afford the data charges

In Canada, it's 'only' $0.05 per kilobyte. Yeah, that's $50+ per megabyte. Simply loading this web page once via the Edge network would cost $64 thousand dollars. Ten minutes smurfing around YouTube would make the Iraq war look cheap. When your bill comes in after a month, they deliver it by one of those special, very long, Aussie 'Road Train' trucks - that's how long the number is after the dollar sign. One guy actually got a bill for "$1 divided by zero". Another one was $8,888,888,888 with all the digits blinking.

Compared to the Philippines where their 3G TV is ten Peso ($0.20) for 30 minutes unlimited. With some concentrated effort, you might actually be able to work up to a $25 monthly bill.

Anonymous Coward

The best thing...

...about the comments on anything iPhone related are the tosspots that chip in with installable app support complaints.

"What you can't load a financial app on it or use a fold-out keyboard? i do this all the time!" I know many people that have smartphones that have installed shite like this; sadly after the "oooh look i've got SAP on my phone - w00t!!!" i've never seen them use it again.

I mean seriously... your finanical app on your fuckin phone??

Oh and lastly - it's a consumer device. That would be like complaining that iWork's Numbers app screwed up your billion dollar corporation's profit & loss reporting for the year - you fucking deserve it for using the wrong tool for the job.

iPhone = Wii

The iPhone is just like the Wii.. New, different, cute, innovative, lacking all the features that are unnecessary to the majority of people. The only difference is that Nintendo can't sucker people into paying 6 times the price of a PS3.

Sheesh its not all over?

Sigh.

FFS to those who want/have an iphone.. great. Those who dont want/have and iphone.. great.

The incredibly futile thing in these arguments is not one of you is going to change the mind of the other, and lets face it.. its not that important.

Anonymous Coward

Not an Apple Fan

I have always resisted Apple products - until now. I agree whole heartedly with the review. If you focus on what the iPhone doesn't do then it is easy to knock it, but what it does, it does very well. With the extra hacks and apps created by 3rd parties it is one of the best (semi) smart phones I have owned - and I have owned many!

Anonymous Coward

BlackBerry?

The problem is the iPhone isn't a business device; it's a yuppie toy to replace the iPod given the market is saturated with MP3 players. The main thing about the iPhone is they're just offloading the cost to the consumer in the most obvious way; as it's so data-centric the running costs are potentially huge. Without data the iPhone is just an overpriced brick. Personally I like my little Nokia E65 that syncs with Outlook whenever I get within Bluetooth range for the precise cost of nothing. For business I have a BlackBerry 8020 that does the whole mobile data thing much, much better than the iPhone.

flaming trolls

look, if you would prefer a N95 - fine. Go, buy one. I won't bore you with the list of reasons I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't waste my time launching personal attacks on people who do, or using crazy person logic to invent wild price comparisons. So please stop filling up comment threads with your hate spam. Why do you get so angry when people say the iPhone is good?

For the record, I'm waiting for a 3G version with a proper camera, more storage and a universal headphone socket... The hackers have added any missing s/w capabilities I want, thank you very much! Not bad for a first crack at the phone market though! (I'm placing the blame for the moto rockr disaster firmly in Japan ;-p )

Anonymous Coward

Pricing

"The contract is no worse than any other two-year package - 18 months in the UK - from any other carrier"

Eh? I take it you're not including 3 in the list of other carriers, then? The packages from O2 are roughly double the cost of a 3 contract, and without the all-important 3G data speeds.

Let's face it, the reason you'll end up using wi-so much is because the data speed sucks. I've had an e61 for months and have never once even connected using wi-fi - I don't need to!

(Symbian S60 3rd as an interface and the built-in apps are another story, mind - worse than the PalmOS5 Sony Clies I used to use 6 years ago!)

Remember the SP1 rule?

As usual if any IT person is worth their salt, they'll wait until service pack 1 comes out...

People that jump into a product before V1.00a is out are just asking for any grief received.

I'll wait a year and see what the iPhone and competitors look like then.

One thing is sure. Mobile phones will never be quite the same again. Apple has shaken up the market place good and proper. Not many companies manage to do that.

Bad audio quality

Why have I seen no mention of the (to me) embarrassingly obvious fact that the iPhone degrades the voice quality of its users? I know three people, now, who have succumbed to iPhone, and in each case I received calls in which the audio was bad enough to prompt me to ask if there was a problem at their end. Did Apple skimp on the microphone in this sexy but vastly oversold bauble? If it doesn't perform the most basic task of a phone very well, what's the point of it?

@anonymous vulture

"...tosspots that chip in with installable app support complaints... I know many people that have smartphones that have installed shite like this; sadly after the "oooh look i've got SAP on my phone - w00t!!!" i've never seen them use it again. I mean seriously... your finanical app on your fuckin phone??"

Well, leaving aside the fact you just called me a tosspot (I'll not sink so low as to insult you back), actually yes, I use an app called Cash Organizer to run all my personal and business accounts on my phone. I can only guess that the reason you seem unable to believe this is because you can't do it on your own phone, or perhaps you personally just don't need to, either of which is fine, but no basis on which to judge others' needs and uses for their own phone.

The fact is, I cannot use an iphone because I need to have my accounts readily available 24/7. Likewise for spreadsheets and "Keepass", my password storage and encryption tool. I fail to see why this need causes you such anguish. Perhaps you need anger management classes.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.