Feeds

back to article Discovery of musician on YouTube triggers loss of faith in American Dream and interests

Bloggers have expressed outrage after a singer-songwriter who won fame through YouTube turned out to be professionally backed. Marié Digby filmed herself singing cover versions on a guitar in her bedroom and posted them to YouTube and MySpace, where she described herself as an unsigned artist. But, wait - stop the internets! …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

@Ian

>> The point I was trying to make was that the "bloggers" took the bait and were used to start that grass roots buzz. <<

I hear what you're saying, Ian.

But that's like saying I'm being "used" by an airline or hotel when I go on holiday. When in fact it's a mutually satisfactory contract.

You're denying the possibility that Marie's fans supported her through their own free choice. She became a "hit" because people liked her, not because they were being "used". You're also taking from the fans their ability to find out for themselves whether Marie was actually an unsigned artist. Ten seconds on Google could have confirmed she was on Disney.

You're saying that the fans were too dumb to do so - I'm saying they don't really care.

So you're actually making the fans/bloggers look far more stupid than I possibly could. At least I'm not denying that free will still exists, and that fans are capable of making well-informed, autonomous choices :)

Pop music has always been about marketing.

Quote:

Bootnote The late Tony Wilson once explained the Pistols to me like this: "They were manufactured ... but Malcolm McLaren hadn't counted on Johnny Rotten being a genius." Nicely put.

Unquote

Substitute Beatles for Pistols, George Martin for Malcolm McLaren, and John Lennon for Johnny Rotten.

'Course, it was all different in my day.

Does anyone remember the backlash against Blaggers ITA when they got signed by EMI? This was back in the early 1990s, before YouTube, the weblog, or even the web. Their grass-rootsy, anti-establishment fans were outraged, and cries of "sell out" came from every quarter. There were articles and rants in the radical mags and photocopied festival ‘zines denouncing them. There was even a leaflet, distributed at all the festivals, condemning them for their betrayal, and warning other unsigned bands not to follow their example.

As for the Sex Pistols, Malcolm McLaren’s secret master plan (as described in “The Great Rock and Roll Swindle”) was to use notoriety and outrage to bypass all the hard work and expense usually involved with tapping into a paying audience. They wouldn’t have to advertise or promote the band, as Mary Whitehouse and the scandalised popular press would do that for them. They wouldn't have to play many gigs, as most of the promoters that booked them would get cold feet and have to pay huge penalties in order to back out of the (standard) performance contacts. They wouldn't have to record many albums because the record companies that signed them would get cold feet and have to pay through the nose to back out of their recording contracts. Then, when the bookings stopped coming and no record company would touch them, McLaren would take the money and run. To this end, he did everything he could to provoke public relations disasters, even retaining a team of secretaries to write outraged letters to the press. But he reckoned without his band and their army of fans. He actually got frustrated, as time went on, at the failure of the whole enterprise to crash and burn, allowing him to drop the whole thing make his exit.

@Rob

[Is the difference really that big?

Marié Digby is pretending to be 'herself', singing other peoples songs.

Milli Vanilli was someone else, pretending to sing their own songs.

It's called deception, every which way you look at it.]

Well I think it is...

One is deception about status (signed/unsigned amateur/professional) which is bad, but exposing how the same person doing the same thing is viewed completely differently if they are "amateur" than if they were "professional"

The other deception is bigger - not just lying about the status of the actual artists, but also lying about who the artists are.

Both are annoying - people don't mind being lied to, as long as they don't feel they have been made to look stupid in believing the lie..

Either way, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahmbulance still applies here..

OMFG. Some people are transparently stupid.

"You could say I’ve lost my faith in corporations."

This is like a six year old falling over whilst running and claiming to hate muscles.

Ok, we'll take back your internet connection, take down your blog, kill your phone signal, take back most of your possessions, stop your electricity, stop your water, don't even think about becomming ill, because you've now got no healthcare and you're banned from every mall and retail chain in the country.

Are you now ready to embrace corporations? Make a decision quickly because come winter, you'll freeze.

Not only this, BUT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=589Mvlz6LWE

She can barely play the guitar!

KiSs tHiS

So the Sex Pistols were synthetic and artifical? Compared to who? the Beatles,U2 and 99% of all the crap playing today.

Did you see them play? What were you like ten probably in 1977?Typical yuppie scum talking about shit they could never understand.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.