Feeds

back to article Kung fu monks battle gobby net ninja

Monks at China's Shaolin Temple are vociferously demanding an apology from an anonymous Japanese internet user who suggested that a single ninja had once whupped the asses of the kung fu masters at the martial art's spiritual home. Specifically, "Five Minutes Every Day" last week posted a comment in an online forum claiming …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

@Morely Dotes

"Enter The Landshark" - cheers for the laugh.

Have you seen the film about the English martial arts master who emigrates to Australia?

It's called "Enter the Whinger".

Anonymous Coward

@Have you seen the film about the English martial arts master who emigrates to Australia?

Yes, and it's sister film about an Aussie coming to the UK - "Return of the Convict" :)

Anonymous Coward

Segal

Issued a closed-dojo, no killing challenge back in the early nineties (when I was well into my Aiki). A judoka broke both his arms.

Voodoo hoodoo

Bet that ninja just was just trying out some ninja voodoo hoodoo. A few shaolin dolls and hand ful of pins... Job done.

:)

Anonymous Coward

Hah...

Most oriental martial-arts arn't actually all that nasty anymore anyway - too civilised... The stuff my (ex) girlfriend teaches, is a lot nastier - she could probably take them all on for breakfast - let alone her boss/instructor. (She teaches her own version of Pencak Silat if you must know - and definitely military orientated).

Anonymous Coward

Hmmmm, ninja you say?

So let me get this right, a ninja, that would be the dudes in the black pyjamas, walked openly into a monk temple and 'asked for a fight', and then bragged about it?

I think said Jap dude is one of two things...

1. King Troll, if this is the case, not that I like trolls on general principle, but you gota admit its a good one.

2. The chap has watched to much Naruto, where the Ninja run around in orange boiler suits. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQNxHKMExpk&mode=related&search= ) if you must watch it.

Would I want to watch a real martial arts fight? yes, however it is my understanding that most martial arts are lethal so you would never see them really going at it as they would disable or cripple one or other.

Bronze badge

Miyamoto Musashi

The above mentioned Miyamoto Musashi was a ronin as mentioned since he was a samurai without a master, He did fight with two swords, one a katana and the other his `companion´sword known as a wakizashi which was shorter.

As far as ninja are concerned, only in recent times do they have any degree of respectability as originally they were assassins and spies. They achieved most things through stealth and trickery, used poisons and even women for assassinations. Not something considered honourable in Japanese society. They were however extremely good at what they did and very professional. Also innovative in their approach, something the samurai were not, as everything the samurai did was based on pretty rigid traditions.

The Shaolin although trained in most weapons tended to fight unarmed or with the staff ( bo ) .

We need to teach the shaolin

"DON'T FEED THE TROLLS" honestly

can you imagine how delighted five minutes

must be I bet he doesn't care anything about

a lawsuit either.

Anonymous Coward

Sounds like a crock...

This story stinks. I cannot believe that any martial artist would rise to the bait of an anonymous poster. The idea that they'd resort to having a lawyer speak for them about it is beyond credence.

The martial artists at a place like Shaolin Temple are trained in both the physical and the mental/emotional/spiritual aspects of handling conflict. I don't know whether the Buddhist precepts are taught now (the Chinese government is unsympathetic towards many spiritual pursuits), but certainly the mental training accompanies the physical. These people are just not going to get all riled up over an insult from some unknown person.

This sort of claim must arise almost daily. There is already an intense rivalry between many different fighting systems; compounding this is the antagonism between Chinese and Japanese culture in general. Insults abound and must be published constantly. One single claim, about a supposed historic event, isn't going to ruffle anyone's feathers at Shaolin Temple.

This is the sort of thing that would only seem noteworthy to someone who doesn't understand much about martial arts. It's kind of like getting riled up because of someone (anonymously) claiming that "my grandpa kicked your grandpa's butt".

It's foolish to say that any fighting style is "better". It's the fighters who are "better". Remember that the traditional fighting styles weren't academic studies or theoretical notions. They weren't sports or high-impact aerobics. Your life depending on learning what works. Things that didn't work tended to get people killed, kind of like natural selection.

Different fighting styles suit different types of people better. Someone who is naturally well-suited for Shaolin might be a poor fighter if he were to learn ninjitsu (and vice versa). So a near-sighted guy would do better with dim mak; a tall, wiry person might be better at Northern Shaolin. Someone who was hard and muscular might excel at karate. And so on.

I don't know whether the story about the ninja has any basis in fact. I seriously doubt the validity of the story about Shaolin Temple hiring a lawyer to voice objections about the story. It's just not that important, really.

So does the Temple have dial-up, or broadband?

"Grasshopper ... what is that sound?"

"I am checking my stock performance on Yahoo, Master."

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.