back to article Teachers vote to ban internet

British teachers have launched an all out war against technology, with calls this week to ban YouTube and Wi-Fi. Pupils under the age of seven or over 16 have also come in for a whacking from fed-up Sirs and Misses. Technology has proliferated in schools in recent years, with teachers getting their coffee and roll-up stained …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Tim Coughlin

Comment from across the pond

Ok, I'm now impressed. I work (tech support) for a school district outside Philadelphia, PA in the US. I used to think the teachers here were particuarly anti-tech until I read this article. I'd best not show this article around lest the local union get's any ideas...

2. M Neligan

Logic?

Sensing some hostility here: time to move on?

Not a contradiction: they voted against the Governments's proposal - not one of their own. Comprehension level: 2?

Most school networks have Youtube, Myspace etc. etc. filtered out.

Wifi and scrambled brains? Hm, judging by these comments...

3. Oliverh

RE: optic fibers to all schools PCs ?

Optic Fibres? To all PCs? With crazy lasers scrambling about all through them? What if they "leak" "laser" (whatever that is?) out all over the children? the children!!!!!! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN??!?!?!??!??!

Reminds me of Bill Bailey quoting Rosie O'Donnell>

"There’s this one celebrity, Rosie O’Donnell, a talk show host, and she said this: “I don’t know anything about Afghanistan, but I know it’s full of terrorists, speaking as a mother.” So what is this "speaking as a mother" then? Is it a euphemism for "well, talking out of my arse"? "Suspending rational thought for a moment"? As a rational human being, Al-Qaeda are a loose association of fundamentalist zealots who could be rounded up with a sustained police investigation. But speaking as a parent, they’re all eight foot tall, they’ve got lasers under their moustaches, a huge eye in their foreheads and the only way to kill them is to nuke every country that hasn’t sent us a Christmas card in the the last 20 years. Speaking as a mother…"

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No switch off here

Having spent millions on IT of recent years, including switching to a thin client network and running an electronic register and IT room reservation service, I feel it is unlikely our local college will be switching off it's WiFi so quickly.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.