back to article Apple emasculates the iPhone

Within hours of last week's iPhone debut, hackers were dissecting it. Their goal: unlock capabilities Apple preferred customers not have. As a result, it's now possible to activate the device without entering into a two-year contract, and it's only a matter of time until you can run third-party apps. Alas, one of the iPhone's …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To use non-Apple headphone plug...

Granted, it's not ideal, but... I have an 1/8" to RCA cable I use in my car to play my ipod through the car stereo -- but with the iphone the 1/8" plug would not fit...

So, I took a pocket knife, and very carefully removed about 1/8" of of the molded plastic just above the metal plug, and that was enough that the plug easily fits into the iphone now, and it all works great.

Also, I will absolutely confirm (as the owner of 2 current ipods, and 2 previous models), that you cannot, once you sync one time, manually manage your music on the iPhone regardless of the iTunes settings.

Like some other people, before my phone was activated, I was able to drag an album on to it and it copied over. However, once the phone activated and sync'ed, it was no longer possible.

I am of the opinion this is a bug. But I am an optimist.

itripn

2. John Munyard

Rotton Apple

Hell I was about ready to get really upset about this whole iPhone thing, and then I realised... I don't have an iPhone, and since I don't plan to get one I realised I don't actually care !

So - a smile and a wave to all you suckers who've already bought one simply because you swallowed Apple's hype and think it's cool. In fact I don't know why you got an iPhone anyway - it's not like any of you have any friends to call now do ya geek-boys? LOL

3. Anthony

Good to see the fanboys are out

I swear to god, no other company has quite the circle-jerk fanclub that Apple does.

It's probably one of the best marketing efforts ever conceived. They offer hardware and software that offers little real benefit over the competition, but SELL it as if it's some sort of lifestyle choice. You guys actually think that you're buying into something special, don't you?

And when people bring up the obvious comparisons of devices or software that offer more for the same (or even less) money - then it's a feature that "you didn't want anyway", or that would "just make it more complicated", or sometimes the classic response of "you just need to learn how to do it our way, even though it's fundamentally different from the way everyone else does it". Unbelievable.

The funny bit is that I actually own an iPod. Not that I use it much since the battery life sucks.

But hey, I can always buy another one, right?

4. Andy Bright

Hilarious

I know the author was fully aware that voicing any sort of complaint about an Apple product would bring the fanboyz out in droves..

So no prizes for predicting that, it's just so funny that they still can't think of anything new to say..

"get a mac".. "but the pc has malware".. "you're a jerk for wanting something Apple doesn't want you to have".. "it's not overpriced tat, it costs that much because of xyz"..

Ahh well, it's a shame really.. because if it was a bit more reasonably priced, unlocked, and if as one commenter suggested, tweaked with a software upgrade or two, it really would be a nice piece of kit.

Has anyone tried to make a phone call over WiFi yet? That's the bit that interests me the most.

5. Chris Boyne

You always pay more for Apples

I remember back in the day, a 20 gig Ipod was 500USD and a 20 gig Archos was 200USD. Guess which one I went for?

Turns out the Archos was pretty ugly (looked exactly like a laptop HD with two AAs on each side and a screen bolted on the front). But it had much better features. Drag n drop your music collection, make your own playlists on the PC, replace the batteries yourself. I knocked up a 10 minute java program that created playlists for all my albums to save me time navigating the directory structure of my music.

Point is, the Apple always has a nicer shell and a nicer UI - but you have to take what you're given and you have to pay the price. I've never found Apple products to be a compelling value proposition and the lock-ins are enough of a downside on their own.

Saying all of that, I bought a Creative Zen Sleek Photo and it's a bloody nightmare to sync on Windows XP, and no Linux program wants anything to do with it.

Next time I buy a mp3 phone or player the top of my list of features is that I get to decide how I manage my music and ideally without using any kind of bullshit 'music manager' except the one of my choice.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Title

That is all just crazy talk. IPhone has no flaws !!! Any percived flaws are simply examples of people not seeing things from one true perspective, and failing to think outside the box.

One day, when the comet comes Steve will lead us all away to a happy place where everything is ihappy. The rest of you can stay here and wait for Xenu to attack !!

7. Mat

astral projection

Think the problem here is not whether or not it has flaws but article writers perceiving non-existent flaws, or projecting their own flaws onto the device. There's plenty enough issues to be genuinely informing people about without just spamming non-issues into the ether too.

8. Robert Richardson

Idiot Apple Wankers

It's a fucking phone, you zipper-heads! Who the fuck wants to carry around zillions of dumbass music data on their fucking phone? I barely even answer mine and it is an ancient POS Nokia. You gotta be a real dumbass to shell out $599 for a goddamn phone. Fucking music died when Mozart croaked.

9. J

Ha...

"An iPod is locked to the first machine you sync with in order to stop swapping/copying of music with other computers"

No it's not. At least for us, non-MS, non-Apple users... :-)

I can do whatever I want with MY music and MY iPod. But I don't know how the OSS programs compare to iTunes... because I've never used iTunes. So what do I care?

And Robert Richardson seems to be trying to go for FoTW. Gotta try harder than that, man!

J

10. Josh

Pot, meet kettle...

"I swear to god, no other company has quite the circle-jerk fanclub that Apple does."

Except Microsoft.

Only difference is, in Apple's case it is warranted. Use an app like Final Cut Pro and tell me again how awesome Winblows is.

11. Josh

Christ, get your facts straight

"An iPod is locked to the first machine you sync with in order to stop swapping/copying of music with other computers"

Nonsense. There is no requirement ANYWHERE to sync your iPod with a computer. Simply set the iPod to manual update, and you can put music on it from any other computer.

I thought this was an IT publication, what's up with all this PEBCAK?

12. James Micallef Silver badge

Touchscreen

Speaking of limited functionality, has anyone noticed that relying solely on the touchscreen for input means that its effectively unusable in very cold environments? Modern touch-technology (I have discovered 'thanks' to my Samsung e-900 phone) requires not only pressure but also body-heat for activation. This is done to prevent the touchscreen activating from brushing against random objects - but makes it unusable to anyone using gloves in cold conditions.

Anyone knows how the iPhone holds up in these conditions?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Cold" environment

It doesn't work.

The issue is not with gloves or cold fingers, its the LCD itself slowing too much and being way too distorted.

Once it warms up, or you put it in a pocket near your body, you're fine again.

This is not common though, unless you are living in Northern Ontario (like me), you probably wont have this issue.

14. A. Lewis

Syncing? Itunes? Playlists? Drag & Drop?

I've had an ipod for three years or so, and I have no idea what anyone is talking about. I haven't touched Itunes (and am glad to have been able to uninstall it's bloated form off my PC) since discovering the many FOSS and standalone alternatives.

I plug my ipod into any PC, run 'Yamipod' which runs happily off the root of the ipod drive under windows or linux, and manage my music from there.

So what's all this about syncing and playlists?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iDon't care

See title.

16. Steven Pepperell

i Joke

What did the Mexican buy from the Apple store....

A iiiPod

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like