back to article New Windows 10 privacy controls: Just a little snooping – or the max

Microsoft has built an online dashboard of privacy controls in an attempt to soothe lingering anger over Windows 10 and its ability to phone home people's private information. The new web portal lists some of the personal data that is collected from PCs and devices and sent back to Redmond, and allows people to somewhat limit …

Page:

1. Carl D

Or... no snooping at all

To repeat what I've posted in another topic earlier (slightly modified):

The privacy (and forced update) problems are easily solved - install W10, make sure it is activated and has all the drivers installed... then disconnect it from the Internet (Network Adapter disabled in Control Panel) before it installs any other updates and install Linux Mint in a dual boot with all Internet activity restricted to Mint only. Just like I've done with Windows 7 on my other solid state drive.

I also ran O&O's ShutUp10 to disable all the annoying Windows 10 stuff - even if it can't access the Internet I'm sure it'll still keep bugging you about wanting to go online all the time.

The result? A nice, easy to manage Windows 10 installation which doesn't annoy you and can't phone home to MS.

I might do the same thing when the 'Creator's Update' is released in April.

Windows (any version) is just too much of a hassle to use online these days.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or... no snooping at all

The issue is that Linux /desktop/ still doesn't have much in the way of support from commercial software providers. Personally I think that's a shame, but it's the way it is.

I'm rather annoyed with Apple for hiking its prices that much, but I suspect that will be rolled back at some point when the sales show that not to be one of the best moves ever, because macOS seems to be the only viable alternative to Windows (unless you count earlier versions of Windows, of course).

Unless, of course, Apple has realised it would not be able to address the demand unless it slows it down with high pricing - maybe it is creating the price margin to absorb the costs of onshoring manufacturing to play Trump's game.

1. Michael Habel

What a shame it is that (Cr)Apple, are seen to be just iPhoning it in with the latest renditions of the MacBook Pro. It's almost like they just want to only build iThingy's.

2. TVU Silver badge

"The issue is that Linux /desktop/ still doesn't have much in the way of support from commercial software providers. Personally I think that's a shame, but it's the way it is."

That aspect is getting better for two reasons. Firstly, there has been an increase in software companies starting to make provisions for Linux in a number of areas including office suites, photo processing, desktop publishing, etc. such as Softmaker Office, Polarr, Pixeluvo, VivaDesigner and so on.

Secondly, there has also been a more general move to online apps, like Pixlr, and software as a service, such as Quickbooks. That means that there's now quite a reasonable range of free and paid-for programmes and services that are the available for the Linux platform.

2. BobChip
      Happy

The better option is to install (say) Linux Mint, then (say) VirtualBox, and finally Windows (your preferred version) inside the virtual machine. Then disable all Windows internet connectivity. Absolutely and finally.

You now have a fast, stable, fully functional PC with an equally fast, stable version of Windows inside it which is available at the touch of a button. Both OSs running simultaneously on the same machine. If Windows ever needs to talk to the internet - why would you ever want it to? - it can do so safely through the host system.

Simples.

1. Triggerfish

Thats more the way I was thinking of doing it, not being able to connect to the web on a work pc is to crippling for what I do so the non connected Windows option doesn't work. I'm just finding it a bugger to get Linux working properly first.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The better option is to install (say) Linux Mint, then (say) VirtualBox, and finally Windows (your preferred version) inside the virtual machine. Then disable all Windows internet connectivity. Absolutely and finally.

Although I like the idea (also because it brings some much needed stability to Windows), I suspect this will be a swine to manage in a production environment. That said, you do have a point in that it may be worth blocking Win10 from talking to its masters but that approach has a problem in both VM and "naked" version: you still need it to patch, and that is pretty much an open gateway.

You don't know what it transmits during patch time - that might as well be a condensed archive from all the data it has managed to grab so far but had to buffer because it was blocked until then.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

When I've needed to use Photoshop or play old Windows games, I've ran a VM with Windows 7 inside it. Gave it enough RAM and CPU, and it's ran like a charm. I also introduced this to my team (consisting of me and 2 others) and it ran fine. Windows never needed to access the internet, so we didn't give it internet access. So the fact it was cut off and only accessed a shared folder on our hard drives (so we could swap files from Linux to Windows, handy for keeping your collection of ISO's off of the VM) it wasn't a security risk really.

I approve of this method, basically.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"it may be worth blocking Win10 from talking to its masters but ... in both VM and "naked" version: you still need it to patch"

Why?

You don't need to protect against the big bad internet it doesn't see.

If it's working as you need it to work you don't need to change it (especially if, as in some cases, the patch makes it stop working as you want).

If it's not working as you want you should have installed something else that did in the first place.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

To be honest, keeping a VM and a full Windows install to run a few programs feels like keeping a full blown Linde hydraulic drive forklift truck around because you occasionally need to move one pallet around - enough of a costly overkill to suggest a search for a better alternative.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"enough of a costly overkill to suggest a search for a better alternative."

Well if you can go speak to Adobe and get them to release a Linux version of Photoshop, and if you could also speak to Eidos to get them to re-release Championship Manager 99/00 for Linux I'd appreciate it.

You go first though, we're right behind you.

1. Michael Habel

Not sure about the eidos stuff besides would a Software Package from '99 & 2000 even work on Win X? As for Adobe... I was under some impression that they had moved to this place called the HTML5 Cloud. So why wouldn't it not work on *nix?

1. Orv Silver badge

Pretty sure the Adobe "cloud" stuff still requires a significant amount of native code. The "cloud" part is more about licensing and data storage.

3. John Lilburne

Meh! I just had a look and there were about a dozen web searchs recorded in the last year. Nothing else under browsing, location, or cortana.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"Meh! I just had a look and there were about a dozen web searchs recorded in the last year. Nothing else under browsing, location, or cortana."

Perhaps NSA had already dropped in and picked up its stuff?

4. mswin10

I'm a bit puzzled I moved over to Windows 10 from apple just as a change and because I found it far easier to get different pieces of hardware to work and communicate and also to interact with what I do at work. Apple always cost an arm and a leg and would only communicate with other Apple devices unlike windows which seem to work well and without needing a degree in computing infrastructure.

I have had several people come to me recently and said about this telemetry stuff and I would be better using Linux its 10 times better than Windows.

Now here is the puzzling bit they went on to explain how to set it up similar to what as been described here and other posts.

I ask the same question here as I asked them, if Linux is so good why would I still need to use Windows10 there answer was, its because some of the things I do on Windows10 would not work with Linux which was also one of the other reasons I moved over from Apple.

Don't get me wrong Windows 10 is not perfect and it did take a while to get used to but it does everything I want and its quick, as for telemetry I realised the first day I used a computer and had an email and signed up to a couple of things on the internet my privacy had gone. And I would challenge anyone even on this forum to say there privacy is intact.

1. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

"as for telemetry I realised the first day I used a computer and had an email and signed up to a couple of things on the internet my privacy had gone. And I would challenge anyone even on this forum to say there [sic] privacy is intact."

So you equate, for example, being in a telephone book, with having microphones installed in your home for monitoring you?

Personally I see a vast difference.

2. Jim in Hayward

Please list the specific applications that will only work on Windows that required you move from Apple. Names & publishers please.

1. Nattrash
          Windows

Maybe it's just me, but these questions just keep coming back to me...

Why do I have to pay for a OS that I don't own and/ or doesn't do exactly what I want it to do?

Why should I get W10 and use it (as suggested here) in a blacked out VM set up, if I can also do this with W7, or even, God forbid, with the excellent XP copy I have in the cupboard here?

(I also have WfW on 5.25 here if you want, but won't hassle you with those...)

Now, I realise I probably will trigger educated remarks about "up-to-date" software, and "do the things you couldn't do before". But FFS, how many users do you know that use the full 100% of their machines/ OS/ software? And how much different is typing an email or letter in Office 97 compared to Word Online or Office 365? To use some marketing dribble you probably heard before: The only limitation to your achievements is your own imagination!

2. joeaverage

I agree. I'm a happy Mint Linux KDE user. i have versions 17.3 and 18 in use on various computers at home and work.

The only thing I need Windows for at this point is Solidworks CAD.

These days Mint Linux installs itself on any computer I test it out on. Not saying that there aren't problem computers out there but I'm not finding them.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    FAIL

not got much spam in it

"Spam eggs sausage and Spam - that's not got much Spam in it!"

"I don't want ANY Spam!"

and I don't want ANY spying.

1. Mark 85

Re: not got much spam in it

That's one of my biggest gripes with Win10... ads in the OS. That should be just "no. not now. not ever"... If malvertising gets through.. you're screwed. But at more basic level... I buy the OS, so ad should not even be an option or available. Sadly, MS is so greedy, they don't care.

Maybe some of us will do a startup for something like AdBlock for the OS?

3. Dwarf

Too little, too late the damage to trust is already done and they already have most of the data from the Win10 user base.

I can't see the embedded remote control capabilities and listening in on voice being compatible with basic confidentiality, security and regulatory requirements as it's not possible to guarantee who has access to the data processed on client pc's

1. Planty Bronze badge

Indeed, our test system has reset it's privacy settings 3 times now, we turn off all the privacy spew, a few months later, it's all back on. We remove farmville and candy crush, 2 days later, it's all back.

The damage is done, the free version of Windows 10 was always an advertisement and privacy leaking promotion. You tell us everything, and install what we get kickbacks on, and we will let you have it for free..

2. CompUser

Absolutely agree, the damage has been severely done. What Microsoft has ADMITTED to is just the tip of the iceberg.

Everyone running Windows 10 has a computer system open to who knows. A user's browsing history may contain embarrassments which could be used against them at a later date. Of course, 'clearing' the collected data means that the data is probably hidden and not deleted.

The NSA must be very grateful for the browser history - I can understand the NSA needing to collect data but it shouldn't be done at the expense of everyone's privacy.

3. joed

Trojan horse

It's not just too little too late. It requires user to sign in to their web portal (presumably with MS account) and - effectively - embrace assault on privacy that MS started with Windows 8. You may as well chose express settings during Windows setup. You can't win with Windows 10. You can only be assimilated

1. tr1ck5t3r

Re: Trojan horse

Trojan horse is very relevant title considering in the bigger context how the US tech giants collude with US Uni's, US Military & US Govt, despite the charade of creating laws in order to attempt to hold the moral high ground, whilst secretly screwing the rest of world in a variety of ways.

To be honest the backlash against the US and its various entities will be like a mega tsunami of anger built up over decades as the collective though processes of people around the world finally catch up and understand just what exactly these entities have been doing, testing the theory that empires crumble slowly considering how viral news moves today, in todays technological world.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not just government snooping, I trust big companies even less.

They will attempt to "monetize" the data in any way they could. And the same data can be stolen, one day. The fact they can give them to governments is just one of the issues.

The main one is they are breaking fundamental human rights behind the "improvements" finger - but it's all about easy money. Great software requires great people and big efforts. Stealing user data, any Zuckerberg, Schmidt or Nadella could do.

1. Libertarian Voice

Re: It's not just government snooping, I trust big companies even less.

The good thing about big companies though is that they haven't got the biggest gang in town (The police) to enforce their monetization of your data using fine and forfeiture.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Let me guess...

For friends / family / colleagues who buy a laptop / PC bundled with WIn10 this year, what's the default setting for privacy?

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Let me guess...

What do you think?

Yes, it's full.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

For friends / family / colleagues who buy a laptop / PC bundled with WIn10 this year, what's the default setting for privacy?

Disabling any networking would be the right setting.

:)

3. fidodogbreath

what's the default setting for privacy?

"None"

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Windows 10 1607AU 'Express Settings' install option currently means no Privacy, pretty much everything defaults to 'ON', slurp.

Change that? Microsoft? Nope, it's even less Privacy, if you have to log in with an MS Account to change Privacy Settings.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...and, if by some miracle, the default was 'OFF', would all the MS supporters who keep telling us that telemetry is not a problem, would they really turn it 'ON' for themselves?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you Microsoft

Windows 10 was the tipping point that stopped me buying PC / Laptop gear. Its even stopped me from wanting to go into tech shops. That's a first!... IoT smart fridge hype, Android, Facebook, Google search, Gmail I could largely avoid... But not this as you've made it personal... So now I belong to the church of FOSS and there's no going back!

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Re: Thank you Microsoft

It's easy to fix the issues with Windows 10 - wipe the disk and install Windows XP - sure, it's got a few issues with the Internet but if you are behind a decent firewall (pfSense etc) and don't use the Internet then it's great and leaks zero information.

OK - so to a degree this is a dumb idea but what's the alternative? It makes little difference what you do on the internet, you are only one Malvert or email away from being owned.

1. joeaverage

If you are taking the computer off the network then at least run Win7. If you are looking for a happy middle ground and need the internet AND Windows - then Win7 is still viable.

Win8 and Win10 are a mess.

NO WAY would I work on any sensitive projects with a computer dumping intel to the government or Microsoft servers. Might as well be using a tablet or smart phone with no real control over the firewall or privacy settings.

2. CompUser

Same here. For the first time in over 10 years, no new hardware because of Windows 10, nothing worthwhile to upgrade to. Just keeping the current systems going, upgrading RAM and drives where possible and looking for compatible second hand gear. I've got 14 systems, zero new hardware for the last year.

Any hardware manufacturer which supports Microsoft's controlling tactics will be written off as a bad joke and placed in the same category of 'avoid at all costs'.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Any hardware manufacturer which supports Microsoft's controlling tactics will be written off as a bad joke and placed in the same category of 'avoid at all costs'.

Like Intel and AMD? If you avoid those, not sure what you're running x86 software on...

1. Updraft102

"Like Intel and AMD? If you avoid those, not sure what you're running x86 software on..."

While I'm not the person to whom that question was directed, I'll answer as if I was...

Yes, exactly like what's being offered by Intel and AMD.

What you can run your software on is older Intel and AMD hardware that isn't any longer being offered, but which will always be available anyway due to the massive numbers in which it was produced in its day.

It's not at all like it was in the 90s, when a CPU a few years out of production meant the system was just too old to run any modern software anymore. We're into the seventh generation of the i3/i5/i7 line from Intel, and I still don't have any compelling reason to consider upgrading from my second-generation i5. Even my Core 2 Duo laptop holds its own and runs Windows 7 quite well and does everything I ask of it; I have no plans to retire it any time soon either.

7. spaceyjase
    Trollface

Fix it

https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fix it

Thanks for the tip. It seems as essential as Classic Shell.

Unfortunately, there's no guarantee it will continue to work after a forced Windows update or the next [insert fancy name] Service Pack in 2018.

1. Boothy

Re: Fix it

After every main update to Win 10, I go grab the latest version from O&O and run it again, just in case!

I have noticed items that were previously disabled, have occasionally switched themselves back on after a patch!

Plus O&O do update the app, in sync with the Windows changes, so something turned off (or on) previously, they might now have changed their recommendation.

I also like that the O&O method, gets rid of Cortana, and Internet searches from the task bar, but still leaves you with a standard functional search box (for local apps/documents etc. Some other tools I've used, just got rid of the search bar completely, which i didn't want.

(It's very rare I ever launch the Start menu in Win 10, most everything I need is either Right click on Start, on my desktop, or a few characters typed into the search bar).

8. Adam 52 Silver badge

Microsoft account mandatory?

How do I check the snooping if I don't have a Microsoft account associated with my laptop login?

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Microsoft account mandatory?

Yes, I did think that purge data option was yet another way to force you to get a Microsoft account

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Now that is what I call a bait-and-switch

Isn't the irony just overflowing ? You have to go and declare yourself, handing over precious personal information in the process, in order to temporarily(*) put a stop to the information that Microsoft is already extracting greedily.

In short : you can't win.

That is what happens when companies confuse the ability to do something and the right to do it.

* : temporarily, because we all know that those choices will be reset every now and then, ala Facebook

1. David Pollard

Re: Now that is what I call a bait-and-switch

You have to go and declare yourself.

You have to go and declare someone. To get started, Tesco's mobile costs £1 for a SIM plus £10 to load it if you need a burn phone. Local shops and pubs will have a postcode that is plausible when compared with ISP data and local searches for weather etc. that might otherwise betray the real user.

1. joed

You still end up with crappStore more ready that before to serve you. What flies on iOS and Android has no place on a real PC.

2. salamamba too

The same approach employed by Google. I have a permanent "urgent account action required" message from google on my phone as I refuse to agree to their data slurp, and the same message appears every time I get re-directed to You-tube.

Google wants you to either agree to their monitoring your browsing, or downloading a program that will identify that you do not want to be monitored. wtf?

Win10 is mostly dealt with by Spybot... for the time being, along with Thunderbird for mail, firefox for web, open office, etc. In essence, do not use any MS programs if you can help it.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like