back to article Fox's meal Sky ready to smother Europe with foreign language OTT content

The OnPrime service – which emerged this week from Sky in the UK and Germany, offering a number of foreign language packages for visitors - seems to be built around the end to end over-the-top* (OTT) service which Sky has been investing in for years from US firm 1Mainstream. It put $2m into the company in 2013 and another $5m …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How will UK censorship cope with incoming European programs that a UK broadcaster would have problems showing?

1. Kaltern
      Trollface

Oh it won't matter - most of us won't understand what's being said.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

censorship

Article 10 of the ECHR has an exemption to freedom of expression for "the protection of health or morals", and the BBFC is apparently to be tasked with "blocking" unsuitable material, so I guess the Govt has that in hand. Brexit might make EU pronouncements irrelevant to the UK anyway. How well the UK system would work in practice is another matter!

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: censorship

" the BBFC is apparently to be tasked with "blocking" unsuitable material,

A moment spent thinking about how they will do this makes me worried about whether allowing the BBFC to deploy ground-to-space missiles and lasers to take out naughty satellites is perhaps going a tad too far.

Although the Welsh Ambulance Trust to get to see all our browsing histories so they can fight terrorism, so perhaps it is proportionate.

3. Dr_N

You mean in the way Sky Channel did when it originally launched all those years ago? Avoiding all UK laws and regulations.

2. Colin Bull 1
    Devil

Change of heart

Sky were happy for EU to not allow free movement of TV signals when they could gouge the UK customer base. ( nothing whatsoever to do with Peter Mandelson's cosy relationship with Elizabeth Murdoch )

Looks like the internet has caught up with them and given them a change of heart.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Change of heart

Looks like the internet has caught up with them and given them a change of heart.

Makes no odds to me. Where I have a choice Turdoch and his clan won't get a penny out of me, and I wouldn't pay for Sky if they were the last TV channel on earth.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"[...] most of us won't understand what's being said."

A picture is worth a thousand words.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

OTT content ... will that include Alexi Sayle with his backing band Radical Posture?

5. Andrew Beardsley

BBC iPlayer

Does this mean that the BBC has no excuse for blocking iPlayer in the rest or Europe? The reason given was that they only had the rights to show things in the UK. That would now not seem to be the case.

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: BBC iPlayer

And does this also mean that RTE could have Freesat channels that can be seen in the UK? I've always understood the problem was they only had the rights for Ireland on a lot of films etc.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

geo-fencing is not allowed inside the EU

This ought to be fun for Sky when we aren't in the EU in a couple of years, as their boss and Sky News campaigned for.

Sounds like a large investment for something they might well be stopped from doing in a relatively short amount of time. A classic left hand/right hand blindness issue?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like