back to article So. A new tech upstart wants 'feedback'. Um, maybe it actually does

I have met the enemy, and he is me. I stand astride a line. On one side I am an "IT decision-maker", on the other an "evangelist" for some startups I truly believe in. This year, I have learned a lot more about how the data centre sausage is truly made. As the recipient of the unending stream of sales phone calls, surveys and …

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
    Coat

"My approach to dealing with vendors will – must – change."

More inclined towards change, I see. Does that means you'll make systemd your go-to init ?

Mine is the Devuan-branded one.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge
      Pint

I said "change", not "go completely fucking crazy". ;)

2. Hollerithevo

Target correctly. Explain value with facts.

I get so many calls from people trying to sell me something that isn't my area. An hour doing proper research on me and not buying a list or cruising through LinkedIn would save a lot of wasted time. I also get emails and calls with marketing spiels. I don't have much time: if you can tell me what you are offering why it would be better for me and my organisation, rather than blathering about 'paradigm-changing innovation', I'd be more willing to listen.

1. Lotaresco

Re: Target correctly. Explain value with facts.

" if you can tell me what you are offering why it would be better for me and my organisation, rather than blathering about 'paradigm-changing innovation', I'd be more willing to listen."

The people trying to sell you something cannot do better than talk about paradigm shifts, massively converged, enhanced user experience, streamlined workflows and the like. They also cannot go into specifics. They don't understand your business, don't care about it and couldn't understand it even if you gave them a map at the centre of which was a large cross marked "This is where my business is and here's how you understand it."

All they are interested in is how much can they shift before Christmas, is their car a better one than their neighbour's and how many more air miles do they need for a trip to Florida?

3. Cloud, what..... Sorry... Um... - you just made that up.

Nutanix.

Have they ever made a profit? I'm guessing its an IPO get rich quick scheme

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like