back to article Samsung share plummets – but it’s not because of the Burning Note

Samsung's phone sales have fallen 10 per cent in the last year, but the Note isn't to blame. The analysis comes from market researcher CCS Insight, which says the Korean giant is in decline because it is withdrawing from low-margin volume segments. Last week Gartner identified a 14.2 per cent fall in share, rather than …

1. Magani
    Linux

Some good news?

Apple smartphone shipments fell 5 per cent year on year...

Looks like every cloud has a silver lining then.

1. mosw

Re: Some good news?

More of a milled aluminum lining I think.

2. Buzzword

Losing the halo effect

This strikes me as a bad move. Samsung's lesser phones benefitted from a "halo effect" from their top-of-the-range phones, meaning they could charge slightly more than any of the Shenzen popup brands.

The halo works both ways: a reputation for building good workhorses for the masses means an enhanced reputation for building high-end phones, just as Lexus benefits from Toyota's excellent reliability ratings.

Longer-term it can also cause staffing problems. Without a pipeline of juniors who know how to make cheap phones, you've lost a valuable talent pool for your high-end devices.

1. Charles 9

Re: Losing the halo effect

I think Samsung was losing the halo effect anyway to market saturation. The phone market is maturing, especially at the low end. Why pay more for phones that only need so much in the specs?

3. Zola
    Flame

What's Elop up to these days?

Pretty sure he can save them - he's got experience of burning platforms, after all...

4. Sampler

Following PC trends

Back in the day, I bought a new PC each year (sometimes more often) as the technology had moved that much in the time that it was worth the change.

For a longtime a mobile phone was the same, each year, contract is up, new phones are appealing.

These days though, each PC on the market is mas or menos the same as the one I have from last year, or even the year before - in real world usage tasks run pretty much the same on a brand new box as the old one, yeah there's some better battery life and some weight loss, but those aren't really issues for me (who's laptop spends 98% of it's time in the office and a tablet will do for the 2% I'm out), so PC sales are down the pan.

Same goes for phones, I have a galaxy note 4, yes, I could buy a new phone but what would I gain?

The OS runs perfectly quickly, the apps I use have no delay, the screen is big and beautiful enough for the odd bit of picture viewing or video watching I use and it's a fine music player so what am I going to get out of a new shiny shiny? There's nothing compelling like there used to be and it's only going to get worse.

The mobile market will follow the PC market now that the tech is "good enough" that the incremental improvements are the giant step they used to be to make a switch worth while to the majority of people (and I don't even class myself in that group, I'm a gadget nut, so should be the prime target for new shiny shiny).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like