back to article EU puts out prescription for smart hospitals

An EU agency has grappled with thorny issues surrounding the adoption of IoT technology in hospitals to draft a series of best practice guidelines. The European Union Agency for Network and Information Security (ENISA) study engaged information security officers from more than 10 hospitals across the EU, painting a picture of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Internet of Whince

Cool. So BT will have a wider fail radius when their crap goes down.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I smell an Internet of Lawsuits...

Once all that crap gets hacked and people start dying because of it...

3. a_yank_lurker

New Solution

A new solution to IoT hacking problem: paper records. </snark>

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Holmes

Why?

Do Hospitals need talking toasters and fridges that call the supermarket to get food when they are only used to store medicines?

As for Thermostats... Every hospital I've been in has the heating on even in mid summer. I got told off for daring to open a window for some fresh air when I was last and inmate.

Even finding a window that opens even an inch or two is hard these days. Healf and Safty rules ok.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Windows

Re: Why?

The hospital that screwed my leg back together earlier this year had heating on and windows that the nurses would open first thing in the morning and shut last thing late at night....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

From a hospital elsewhere in the EU: We've got windows which patients may open and thermostats on the radiators which they may adjust. There are even electric blinds.....

As for IoT: all useful medical devices are already securely connected thank you.

5. sad_loser
    FAIL

ISO 13485 does this, and is already here

And surprise surprise, good quality software which has properly tested is expensive.

Unbranded untested IoT junk from China is cheap.

This is why the hubristic Shoreditch clowns who claim that the NHS is going to be cured by funnelling vast quantities of landfill data from Mr Averages' smart watches may need resetting by the BOFH.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like