back to article Have some sympathy for the AT&T devil

When the first fixed-line phone systems were installed, you paid for everything, but particularly for each minute of each call. Later they had broadband added to the copper and a flat rate began to become the order of the day. As phone calls went to IP, the same applied to calls for the most part. While there are upper limits …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

should America be made great again for AT&T,

Easiest question in the world.

Does ATT CEO play golf? Yes.

Does Joe Average Bumpkin from a village somewhere in Appalachia play golf? No.

Well, you know who the next president will be listening to.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: should America be made great again for AT&T,

But is it a Trump golf course? Cue a lot of executives showing up in the press at a specifically Trump golf course. Combine that diplomatic junket with golf in Dubai, Scotland, Ireland! Or for your lobbying convenience, D.C.! Trump Golf! Go for the green!

2. KjetilS

"Have some sympathy for the AT&T devil"

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. No.

1. ecofeco Silver badge

Re: "Have some sympathy for the AT&T devil"

Cannot upvote this enough.

If att is for it, the customer IS going to get fucked and fucked hard. Take it from someone who worked for them. In no way, of shape, form or fantasy world does att give a flying shit about its customers.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ecofeco

Maybe no one in your offshoot cared about the customer, but many other parts do.

1. Captain DaFt

"Maybe no one in your offshoot cared about the customer, but many other parts do."

[citation needed]

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Maybe no one in your offshoot cared about the customer, but many other parts do.

I also worked for several Ts and worked with Ts as customers in new product development so I know exactly how they would like to align the customer for the next part of the "customer experience".

It is not just Att it is Any T.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

Honestly, I have to say you may have a point. The field technicians and maybe the engineers do seem to actually care about customers. But they are hamstrung by the rest of the entire company. The customer facing and management part.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I worked for them also - for less than a year, and that was too long.

Let's add: In no way, of shape, form or fantasy world does att give a flying shit about its employees.

In no way, of shape, form or fantasy world does att give a flying shit about honesty in dealing with their customers.

3. Wade Burchette

How I think of net neutrality

I think of net neutrality as internet providers not throttling, interfering, or discriminating with traffic in any way. If the death star wants to provide a service that does not consume my data allotment, why should I care? So long as AT&T does not throttle competition (i.e. Netflix) or "accidentally" forget to upgrade the backbone connecting to the competition or throttle traffic on someone not using AT&T's network to stream AT&T's satellite service, why should I care?

Why did net neutrality become so complicated? It shouldn't be. ISP's should do all they can to deliver the data I want and paid for without any discrimination or roadblocks. What is so hard about that?

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: How I think of net neutrality

Bundled ≠ Free

Choice 1: Rent your internet connection from Telco or do without.

No Choice: Pay for TelcoTV. It is bundled with the rent for your internet connection.

Choice 2: Pay a separate rental fee for OtherTV, which provides a copy of what you get with bundled TelcoTV, or don't.

Choice: OtherTV haemorrhages customers, and has to raise its prices to cover fixed overheads. Cancel subscription now, or wait for the next price hike?

No choice: The starved corpse of OtherTV has been bought by TelcoTV. Internet connection rental prices rise to match the final cost of internet+OtherTV. TelcoTV covers its fixed overheads with just a few customers and enjoys monopoly profits from the rest.

No choice: Telco is charged with using a monopoly in one field to create a monopoly in another. A decade later, Telco is found guilty. Before sentenced is passed, the judge gets replaced. The new judge offers the 'punishements' proposed by Telco. Telco asks for, and gets extra time so they can come up with some extra 'punishements'. Telco carries on being an abusive monopoly. Another decade passes before some disruptive technology changes the situation.

This has happened before.

4. Death Boffin
    Mushroom

Really?

"This essentially cuts down the amount of video you are going to use, to around 30 per cent of what is usual, because of the amount of time you are in reach of home or work Wi-Fi."

If you work for me, don't expect to be using the business Wi-Fi to be streaming videos.

5. Herby

Broadcast or Point to Point?

That is the question. Most video things are broadcast in nature (like over the air TV). When you go to point to point, lots of thing change. For one thing you need bandwidth, and someone needs to pay for it. Most of the time the monthly fees contribute to the build-out of the connections that support high bandwidth. Eventually the users pay for much of the capital cost of the bandwidth, then the operator can keep charging people even though the capital cost is now zero (it was paid for). This happened for long distance in the period leading up to the "divestiture" of 1984. Because bandwidth was so cheap, long distance subsidized local service which was more costly to maintain, and so it goes. Fast forward to cellular service, and a similar circumstance happens. You charge for minutes while you build out the physical plant and keep going. Eventually the cell towers get paid for and all that is left is the electricity bill (cheap by comparison). Then the bandwidth hogs take over and you then need to make more bandwidth between points, and charge for it. If the pipe to the service provider (netflix, amazon video, etc.) pays for some of this it makes the consumers happier since they don't have to (directly) pay for it. So, it is all about cost shifting and capital costs. Pick your poison. Yes, AT&T (a modem test command if you are interested) will make money, possibly obscene amounts of it. If you are interested, the symbol on the stock exchange is 'T', and invest there.

Life goes on. Movies will cost money, bandwidth will cost money, and we will all pay.

6. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge
    Mushroom

Bullshit-On

You missed the trick behind T-Mobile One. It's unlimited data but all the things that need lots of data are throttled to 1.5 Mbps. Yes, that's slower than even AT&T's ADSL1 home service. It's not optional and nobody has any opt-in. It's a forced throttle that breaks things.

T-Mo says can buy your way out of this throttle for $25/month, but you're still throttled. What that really buys you is a month's supply of "HD Passes." Every day you may edit your account to add 24 hours of normal speed at no additional cost.

7. Jason Hindle

A lot depends on how much of a game changer 5G might be

But in the long term perhaps some sort of paying for how you watch OTT services might come into play. This could be driven either by the OTT services themselves, or by the network. From the network end, I've seen this on visits to Africa already. Consider Zimbabwe:

- I can buy a prepaid SIM card on arrival at Harare Airport, load this with some money, and buy a data package (typically USD 30 for 1Gb for one month - data is generally expensive in Africa).

- This is all well and good, but what cash strapped locals do is buy a smaller allowance, and then buy packages of unlimited services they want (typically unlimited WhatsApp, which is big in Africal, but also Facebook, Twitter).

In the longer term, I can see this trend happening with OTT services. Of course, if 5G radio brings us sufficiently close to wired, we might also see networks deciding they don't have to invest in a lot of expensive equipment for data metering, content billing and so on. I think the latter possibility is rather unlikely.

1. Charles 9

Re: A lot depends on how much of a game changer 5G might be

Data metering is going to be a given no matter what, not just because of customers but because upstream providers ALWAYS measure and assess based on your bandwidth. If you don't keep your data flow pretty even, you have to pay the difference, so knowing how much is going which way is important for ISPs fiscally.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like