back to article Harder, better, faster, stronger (apparently). The IronWolf goes Pro

Seagate has tweaked its IronWolf NAS drive to make it stream data faster for longer and tacked the epithet "Pro" on the end. The IronWolf drive was unveiled in July and came in 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10TB capacity points. The 10TB product is a helium-filled enclosure with seven platters, the others being traditional, air- …

1. Tom 38
    Gimp

IRØN WOLF

https://iamironwolf.bandcamp.com/

Seems like a German metal band

Iron wolves and wooden horses

Creeping in fading light

Eating our young

Under Chronos' eyes

We are running with the black fang cult

We are running with the black fang cult tonight

We are running with the black fang cult

We are running with the black fang cult tonight

On global territory

We eat the rich

Crashing parties with nail bombs

We paint the town red

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SAS?

A drive labeled "Pro" and yet no SAS option?

3. Drem
    FAIL

Never found in the wild

I was looking at NAS drives about a month ago. I couldn't find the 4tb version of the non-pro version anywhere. or indeed anything over 2tb. And the price on those was awful. If Seagate want me to buy their product, they have to at least try to sell it to me.

4. CAPS LOCK

Oi, Seagate, bring back the Bigfoot you stupidheads...

...cool, slow running (rpm wise), reliable, twice the storage for the same parts count. What's not to like?

1. Down not across

Re: Oi, Seagate, bring back the Bigfoot you stupidheads...

Perhaps that there is lack of NAS enclosures for 5.25" drives.

Also if my memory serves the reliability of Quantum Bigfoots was not exactly stellar.

5. GrapeBunch

What do those government and corporate data centres use to store our personal information that they've slurped? When capabilities don't advance as quickly as I thought they might, I always imagine that google or NSA has ordered an entire production run of The Latest Thing.

Are they really marketing a device that claims to be able to rewrite itself 37.5 times in a year? Sounds ideal for slurping, not for database management. Or am I misunderstanding the jargon, or is my eyesight bad?

1. InfiniteApathy
      Black Helicopters

You appear to be a tad myopic in your use case vision.

6. Adlet
    FAIL

It's called S***gate for a reason!

OK CLASS!! Listen up! Time for your daily lesson in chemistry! Take a look at that drive and tell me whats wrong?

That's right! Helium! ...because as we all know, the Helium atoms are just going to hang around inside the the drive and not go anywhere. Just the same way a Helium balloon never, ever goes flat!

So what happens when all the Helium is gone after 3 months? That's right! Those heads are going to grind into those platters and make some nice growling sounds. Guess that's how it got the name Iron Wolf!

1. Captain Scarlet
      Stop

Re: It's called S***gate for a reason!

Why 3 months, I would prefer the more accurate method of using the warranty period.

Everything that will fail will fail a millisecond after the warranty runs out (Or you lose the receipt).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like