back to article Tesco Bank limits online transactions after fraud hits thousands

Tesco Bank has restricted the operations of current accounts after funds were looted from a reported 20,000 accounts. The UK bank has confirmed a fraudulent attack, which is under investigation. In the meantime it has suspended online transactions from current accounts, including contactless transactions. Customer can still …

Page:

1. Captain Badmouth

Headers check

The security check website https://securityheaders.io/ gives an F for fail on the tesco bank login site https://www.tescobank.com/sss/auth#.

I suppose this is because the site is not active atm?

1. Slabfondler

Re: Headers check

That page is certainly alive, though login may not be active. Still one would think the headers would be set normally, and they look pretty bad.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably the same underlying cause as most other large web security disaster areas: Something Open Source having a big fat security hole...

1. Harry the Bastard

first rule of the interweb

though shalt not blame open source for anything

2. Anonymous Coward
        Facepalm

Re: Open source to blame?

Yes, because the design of roads being publicly open and free to everyone, means all the roads get used by criminals...

... now if only we had kept the design for roads and cars proprietary we would have stopped all bank and store robberies...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Open source to blame?

"now if only we had kept the design for roads and cars proprietary"

Or at least if the design included basic security features like door locks that worked...

3. Alan Brown Silver badge

HSBC also get an F

It'd be interesting to post a list.

2. Andy Non Silver badge
    Coat

The fraudster was interviewed and is quoted as saying:

"Every little helps."

1. Joe Harrison

Re: The fraudster was interviewed and is quoted as saying:

A thread about it has been started by Tesco employees at www.verylittlehelps.com

2. Green Nigel 42

Re: The fraudster was interviewed and is quoted as saying:

And the apology from Tesco shows (E)very little helps!

3. Captain Badmouth

Tesco bank headers missing

Missing Headers

Strict-Transport-Security HTTP Strict Transport Security is an excellent feature to support on your site and strengthens your implementation of TLS by getting the User Agent to enforce the use of HTTPS. Recommended value "strict-transport-security: max-age=31536000; includeSubdomains".

Content-Security-Policy Content Security Policy is an effective measure to protect your site from XSS attacks. By whitelisting sources of approved content, you can prevent the browser from loading malicious assets.

Public-Key-Pins HTTP Public Key Pinning protects your site from MiTM attacks using rogue X.509 certificates. By whitelisting only the identities that the browser should trust, your users are protected in the event a certificate authority is compromised.

X-Frame-Options X-Frame-Options tells the browser whether you want to allow your site to be framed or not. By preventing a browser from framing your site you can defend against attacks like clickjacking. Recommended value "x-frame-options: SAMEORIGIN".

X-XSS-Protection X-XSS-Protection sets the configuration for the cross-site scripting filter built into most browsers. Recommended value "X-XSS-Protection: 1; mode=block".

X-Content-Type-Options X-Content-Type-Options stops a browser from trying to MIME-sniff the content type and forces it to stick with the declared content-type. The only valid value for this header is "X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff".

A downvote for some reason. I see HSBC gets an F too.

1. Valeyard

Re: Tesco bank headers missing

looks like the usual nikto output

2. Ben Tasker

When I last looked they all did a pretty poor job of using the tools/techniques available. Granted I was looking at their apps, but the situation looked more or less the same for their online banking login pages.

Iornically enough, Tesco bank's holier-than-thou stance on security in one area was what prompted me to have a quick gander

1. Captain Badmouth

Very interesting Ben.

2. steeple

Interesting tests, Ben. My immediate response was that the Barclay's app gets a bonus star for not working at all... no? I realise this makes it harder to test the other controls but I would never usually trust an app on a rooted device as I would assume sandbox/walled garden integrity is compromised anyway.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

an app on a rooted device

But how do you really know the device is not rooted? There are many toolkits out now for fooling these checks. They allow one to run the pokemon game, Android Pay, and yes, banking apps on a rooted device.

2. Ben Tasker

> My immediate response was that the Barclay's app gets a bonus star for not working at all... no?

I did think about that, but decided against. It's more than possible the failure to run was something I did (or didn't) think of, so probably shouldn't give them an additional point (which might be misleading) just in case the app is actually swiss cheese in reality. Given the much wider range of permissions their app asks for, I figured it was better to err on the side of caution

3. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have no issues with the Barclays mobile app on several mobiles; perhaps you arent holding yours in the correct way.

As for Tesco, their IT system is such an omnishambles, I wont even have a loyalty card for fear of my details getting leaked.

3. Joe Harrison

The trouble with all this SSL mumbo-jumbo is that it just makes things more likely to break. Foillowing Globalsign's accidental revocation problems I still can't get to many sites for example wikipedia - certificate pinning won't let me click "yes I understand this certificate is technically invalid but I will take the risk".

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Public-Key-Pins HTTP Public Key Pinning protects your site from MiTM attacks using rogue X.509 certificates. By whitelisting only the identities that the browser should trust, your users are protected in the event a certificate authority is compromised.

You better make damn' sure you get this right, first time, and have good, bullet-proof processes for updating your cert chain if you do this.

Unless you fancy locking out The Internet from accessing your site.

5. patrickstar

I can promise you that none of these missing headers resulted in the funds of 20k customer accounts growing feet and walking away...

Or that any missing headers in a web server response ever resulted in something similar.

1. Ben Tasker

> I can promise you that none of these missing headers resulted in the funds of 20k customer accounts growing feet and walking away...

Agreed. It's much more likely that someone gained access to their internal systems (whether that's an internal job or otherwise)

>Or that any missing headers in a web server response ever resulted in something similar.

On this scale? Probably not.

It's certainly feasible on a smaller scale though. Cert authorities have been compromised in the past, and likely will be again. The authentication method LetsEncrypt uses when requesting a cert is known to be vulnerable to DNS poisoning, so there's a potential avenue to obtaining a trusted-but-fraudulent certificate there too.

What's the defence against an incorrectly issued, publicly trusted certificate?

Certificate pinning. Which none of the buggers is using. As mentioned earlier in the thread, configuring it isn't without it's risks, but it's just a case of needing careful management.

Incidentally, that LetsEncrypt issue I mentioned, can be mitigated by DNSSEC, which, again, none of the buggers is using.

Given that banks are "trusted" to hold our money, you'd think the bar would be somewhat higher for what they consider the bare minimum.

Personally, I think it'd be better if browsers got their act together and implemented support for DANE, but that's a whole other topic (and would require the banks to set up DNSSEC in any case).

2. Alan Brown Silver badge

"I can promise you that none of these missing headers resulted in the funds of 20k customer accounts growing feet and walking away..."

No, but they do point to a lack of care and attention - which is what enabled the events to occur.

1. patrickstar

Cert pinning isn't even possible with all setups. Like if you have a (gasp!) proper setup with the certs not existing outside HSMs, possibly acting as SSL accelerators in front of the actual web servers. If you have more than one of those and are actually trying to keep your SSL certs from growing legs and walking away by keeping them in the HSMs which generated them, then you might very well end up with the same web server being presented with different, but equally valid, SSL certs.

4. Mike 125

Is this different?

Is this different in nature from what has gone before? This is a mass random ability to extract cash from a huge number of accounts. This is not some jerk clicking on a dodgy email. Is it a zero day on the 2 factor authentication system? Are all the affected accounts accessed by mobile?

The frustrating thing is that we will never be told the detail. Whistleblowers blow, stop sucking.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge
      Joke

Re: Is this different?

I think it will turn out to be zero-factor authentication causing a 2-day outage.

3. Les Matthew

Don't know if this is connected but EE is offline at this time.

4. katrinab Silver badge

A lot of the accounts are people who put £3000 in to get the 3% interest and don't use it as their main account. They say that they've never used the debit card, and I would imagine they don't use the mobile app for something they are using as a long-term savings account.

5. Warm Braw

Tesco have set a trend...

Virgin money has been having trouble this morning and Newcastle Building Society are still offline as far as I can tell, intermittently saying the site is undergoing maintenance but mostly just spinning the cursor. It could, of course, simply be that everyone is logging in to check their money is still there...

1. dgncl

Re: Tesco have set a trend...

NBS is fine, just logged in ok.

1. Warm Braw

Re: Tesco have set a trend...

It does seem to be back up and running

6. Stratman
    Coat

Tesco bank accounts...

...can now be found in the frozen aisle.

1. monty75

Re: Tesco bank accounts...

Unexpected item in the banking area

1. Commswonk
        Thumb Up

Worth logging in just to upvote the previous two posts.

Edit; why on earth has someone downvoted one of them?

1. horse of a different color

Unexpected downvote in the comment area?

2. Captain Scarlet

Possible some Tesco Bank users do not find it funny, I must admit if I was a customer I wouldn't find it funny.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Trollface

You wouldn't find being a customer funny?

1. Captain Scarlet

Why do account holders get to throw cream pies at the staff?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Credentials spillage in Aisle 3.

7. TRT Silver badge

Value banking...

Should have got a Finest account.

8. Captain Badmouth

In the interests of balance

I am looking at all the bank sites :

Lloyds bank gets an E.

Barclays - something went wrong.

Halifax gets an E.

Nationwide gets an E.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: In the interests of balance

Odd how Nationwide's main website seems to do nearly everything properly yet the online banking part doesn't.

1. Captain Badmouth

That's because it's http and not https I would have thought.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Most of those headers are still applicable for HTTPS though.

9. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
    Facepalm

Oops...

I notice that Tesco Bank announced a couple of months back that 250 jobs were being moved from Edinburgh to Glasgow.

Disgruntled employee, perhaps?

GJC

1. Stuart 22

Re: Oops...

If its an inside job - then the Tesco Bank software was developed (and supported?) here: http://www.tescobengaluru.com/

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

I know how that Bank was thrown together at the start. I'm only surprised something major took this long to occur.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Linux

"I know how that Bank was thrown together at the start. I'm only surprised something major took this long to occur."

How was it put together, give details.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"How was it put together, give details."

Well, to start with it was mostly done in 6 months, that should tell you plenty.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like