back to article Software licencing gets easier in the cloud? Not if your name is Microsoft

The classic CRM Online suite is no more, it has ceased to be, is bereft of life and rests in pieces. Microsoft has overhauled its licence and for some the price has become a lot more expensive, trade customers have told us. Last week CRM Online covered the entire suite. Now the product has been split into apps with different …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You can keep it.

SuiteCRM - a UK developed derivative of SugarCRM with all the trimmings - is far more cost effective, even if you buy support.

1. VinceH

Re: You can keep it.

Handy tip - ta. I know bugger all about CRM software, and a client's salesman uses an ancient copy of Sage ACT! which threw a brief wobbly with the Windows 10 anniversary update. I've just glanced at their site and emailed a link to him suggesting he give it a look as a possible alternative.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

CRM is good to keep sales leads and customer interfaces a bit in line, but it's worth developing teh processes first that you want to automate. You can use it "out of the box" but you'll soon find there are a number of actions you do one after the other - a CRM can line that up for you so you don't lose information, leads or followups and eventually you get a view of your sales pipeline and lead conversion rate (you need to build up the business data first).

If you're familiar with SugarCRM, SuiteCRM is built on the same code base and has the same API, but you get the full feature set for free with the download - SuiteCRM's income is based on hosting, support and consultancy.

The only thing you have to be a bit careful with is browser plugins such as Ghostery, Ad Aware and uBlock & friends because it is very quick to scream "hack alarm" at you when it spots the URL diversions that such things generate (at least, this is what I assume - it went away when we disabled plugins). We now simply use a separate browser for it - a totally plugin-free copy of Opera :).

2. Roland6 Silver badge

I've just glanced at their site and emailed a link to him suggesting he give it a look as a possible alternative.

Might be a little more helpful to also direct him to this site:

https://bitnami.com/stack/suitecrm

Where he can download a complete Virtualbox compatible VM and be up and exploring in minutes...

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Microsoft, SugarCRM (and derivatives), etc: do they keep personal data of customers?

If so do users have the customer's permission for that and are they registered with the appropriate regulator?

If not they stand at risk from the DPA or equivalent. Things get even worse if it's hosted by a supplier. They then have to worry about - or should be worrying about - where it's hosted, whether the hoster is also registered and just how much cover the Privacy Figleaf provides. Given the standard gung-ho approach of the average salesman or marketroid I suspect that many of the users of CRM are in contravention. Maybe a visit from FAST is the least of their worries.

2. Ole Juul

One of the reasons

that I don't use MS-Windows is that I'm not a lawyer.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: One of the reasons

The cost of license management and the risk of still getting it wrong was one of the reasons we ejected all MS software products from the company (another one was the overhead and resources involved in keeping it moderately safe).

Given that even the MS rep had at times problems working it out suggested to me MS didn't really have a clue, and I didn't want to have FAST associated idiots prancing around our subsidiaries hoping for a fat payout by interpreting license statements to their own benefit. Now we can be as rude to them.

Life is sweet :)

3. Mr Anonymous

Is that pricing...

£59.20 to £71.70 or that now plus 22 to 30% more in Jan next year?

4. Dan 55 Silver badge

"How do I get what I'm getting today and pay the same?"

You don't. You get less and pay more as with every time MS change their licencing.

1. Vector

Re: "How do I get what I'm getting today and pay the same?"

But, but, but..! They said you get More Features!

...so if you have everything you need, too bad, you're getting useless crap and a higher bill.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "How do I get what I'm getting today and pay the same?"

"You don't. You get less and pay more as with every time MS change their licencing."

And as time goes by, more and more Certified Microsoft Dependent Business Partners will realise that the party is over and the last bus will soon have left. Why has it taken them so long? Trevor?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The cloud is all about to ensure the supplier fully controls what you pay...

... and when you're on a subscription your doomed to pay whatever they ask, it's not that you can't defer an upgrade while looking for alternatives...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

MS as a Subscription Service

The next thing we will hear is that Win10 will be £19.99 a month.

All your personal data belong MS.

7. a_yank_lurker

Money

At roughly 60 or 70 per month per seat adds up to a nice chuck of change for a largish organization. Assume on has 100 users that 1200 user month or about 72K or 84K a year. I do not know much about CRM software other than it is pricey but at those rates one is idiotic not to look at purchasing a copy.

8. razorfishsl

let's not even talk about licensing that runs concurrently,

New staff joining in October, contact re-news in Dec... be prepared to have to pay a full year for them.

Even it only lasts 2 months....

9. Mikel

May now play more

The plan is never to get less money out of the same customer. Never.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon