back to article Boffins twist beams of neutrons into pasta to cook up holograms

Holograms created with neutron beams have been demonstrated for the first time by a team of scientists working at the National Institute of Standards and Technology. The research published this month in Optics Express shows that although neutron holograms are less visually appealing, they can reveal more information about an …

1. PaulAb

And I quote...

"Scientists are always looking for new ways to exploit a material's properties for useful applications".

.......What, like adobe flashplayer and One Note? Or am I missing something

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge
      Meh

Re: And I quote...

The fact that application has other, longer-standing meanings than "program running on a computer".

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

What's the resolution?

1. annodomini2

10nm I would guess from the article

3. frank ly

After reading the linked article ....

The 'object' of interest is the SPP itself. The purpose of this is to get information to enable and improve the design of neutron SPPs.

Neutron holography has been done before, to get atomic resolution analysis of crystal structures but this is the first application to a largish object. You don't get a picture of the SPP, you get interference patterns that have to be computed from the detector output, over time. These patterns correspond to the OAM characteristics imparted by the SPP.

4. Tom 7

Three layers of BS

Sounds dodgy to me!

5. Bronek Kozicki
    Paris Hilton

Neutron radiation?

I wonder how do they propose to cope with the formation of isotopes in the nuclei of examined material. Or is the total dose of radiation used to small to worry about the amount of isotopes produced?

Icon selected to match my level of understanding in these matters.

1. annodomini2

Re: Neutron radiation?

Depends on the energy level of the neutrons.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon