back to article FCC keeps secret Google TV landgrab under wraps forever

US broadband regulator the FCC dramatically cancelled the much-anticipated vote on its secretive TV set-top box plan on Thursday – and it's keeping the details confidential. The terse note announcing the cancellation of the vote [PDF] at the ironically named “Open Meeting” declared that: The item remains on circulation and …

1. PJF

Keep Calm,

and goggle on...

All your bases are belong to us - Google

NSA new public view...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please say it ain't so!

And here I was thinking Wheeler was the first ally the consumer has seen in years. If it turns out the only difference is the corporate alliance he's chosen, I'll be soundly disappointed.

4. John Lilburne

Why haven't PK leaked ...

... the document. After all that are called "Public Knowledge" and they've leaked every other document that has come into their possession that is contrary to their paymaster's (Google) benefit.

5. Graham Cobb Silver badge

Genuine question

What on earth does virtual headend have to do with YouTube? I am not sure I am in favour of virtual headend (I would like much more choice and openness in on-premise devices) but I don't understand why you think it is good for Google?

1. P. Lee

Re: Genuine question

I think the author got carried away. I don't think the issue is that the video content would end up on youtube.

I think the idea which the author opposes is that that Google is allowed to create a web frontend that users might have access to the EPG so that you access your cable channels as if they were youtube channels. In reality the content would be pulled from the content user's have purchased, but it would look like google is providing it.

Or maybe he does mean that the content would be transmitted via google, but that the user's rights to the content would be checked by google and confirmed back to the cableco's - everyone get's paid except that cableco's would find it hard to compete as content providers against youtube.

Either way google could overlay adverts etc (like youtube does) because it controls the frontend.

There are problems. If content is all search-able it is likely that popularity will depend on rankings which might give google a lot of power to mess with things. If interactivity is all via google servers it gets first bite at all the data, including viewing data. What happens if one company sponsors a program's creation and someone else pays google for the adwords?

Personally I find it unlikely people would accept more advertising for content they have paid for, if someone else offering less, though it is quite funny to watch the cableco's wail about vertical integration. I think there are massive problems with with both solutions. I like my TV broadcast, not streamed, but that's just me.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

"Wheeler & Kimmelman"

Sounds like a firm of sleazy lawyers who don't give a s** who the client is as long as they have deep pockets.

Acts like one as well.

7. TeeCee Gold badge
    Alert

....how can a regulatory agency keep a plan that blows up $200bn worth of business models a secret?

Apparently:

a) Because Google's scumbag shysters want it.

b) Because Google make sure anyone who disagrees gets sacked.

Do you know? That sounds somewhat evil to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That sounds somewhat evil to me.

That was their old motto - it's been changed since then.

I think it is "Monetize Evil" now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That sounds somewhat evil to me.

Their new motto is: "The first ones free..."

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If democracy requires transparency and informed voters

If democracy requires transparency and informed voters then the FCC is in the wrong, they could no more operate in secret than any other government department. But lucky for them Americans care little about such things, I'm sure most who take any interest are happy the FCC hasn't been proven to have repeatedly lied to the people, congress or other oversight groups.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like