back to article Dublin shopkeeper catches forecourt fouler with his pants down

An after midnight muckspreader who has been terrorising a Dublin* neighbourhood has been caught in the act by the very shopkeeper whose forecourt he’d been befouling. Alan Buckley, proprietor of Clever Buys in Finglas, plonked a toilet and a pallet of loo roll on the forecourt of his shop after a number of visits from the …

Page:

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge
    Joke

While Buckley’s CCTV system captured the curb-side crapper on camera,

IoT story of the week? Was it an IP cam? Was it reporting the crappulent data to the cloud?

Curious minds want to know...

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. 's water music

IoT angle

>>While Buckley’s CCTV system captured the curb-side crapper on camera,

IoT story of the week? Was it an IP cam?

Was the camera one of those dropping its own massive shit on Krebs' doorstep?

3. NorthernCoder
      Coat

Was it an IP cam?

No, an HePoo cam

1. Dick

Re: Was it an IP cam?

Pee to Pee cam?

1. Olius

Re: Was it an IP cam?

I think it used some kind of torrent streaming technology.

3. chivo243 Silver badge
    Holmes

Horse did it?

Horses don't eat meat, or processed sugars or drink booze, why would their "business" smell bad?

Sherlock.... well you get it ;-}

1. joeW

Re: Horse did it?

Pound for pound horse shite smells a lot less foul than that of humans, but what they lack in quality they make up for in quantity.

Source - grew up on a horse farm and moved away as soon as humanly possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Eating meat or processed sugars has little to do with how foul shit smells, as anyone who has ever smelled pig shit would know. There's a golf course I play occasionally that borders an organic farm that raises pigs. When the wind is just right, the smell from the pigs wafts over to the course and it is pretty terrible even though the pigs are at least a quarter mile away at the nearest point! Those in the know check the forecast and avoid that course when the wind is from the east!

I suspect the smell difference in horse poop may have more to do with the difference in the horse's stomach and digestive process compared to a human's than their diet. But hey, I've never compared the smell of a human on a vegan and normal diet, so possibly there's something to that.

I just know there's a lot of variation in the smell of my own shit that can't be accounted for by diet. Usually it isn't too bad (though I'm probably used to it) but occasionally it smells like I ate something half rotted that died again and rotted the rest of the way in my digestive system. Even if I haven't had any meat or cheese in the past few days. No idea what triggers that occasional very foul smell, maybe I'm just sick in some way but don't know it, I'm just glad for bathroom fans on such occasions!

1. Commswonk

I just know there's a lot of variation in the smell of my own shit that can't be accounted for by diet. Usually it isn't too bad (though I'm probably used to it) but occasionally it smells like I ate something half rotted that died again and rotted the rest of the way in my digestive system. Even if I haven't had any meat or cheese in the past few days. No idea what triggers that occasional very foul smell, maybe I'm just sick in some way but don't know it, I'm just glad for bathroom fans on such occasions!

Don't you think that might just fall into the category of "over - sharing"?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Don't you think that might just fall into the category of "over - sharing"?"

Sigh. The Feacebook generation.

2. Stuart21551

AKA, TMI!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Those in the know check the forecast and avoid that course when the wind is from the east!"

Sounds like the town of Midwest in central Wyoming. It's in the middle of an oilfield and stinks of rotten eggs. Interstate 25, which follows the alignment of most of the older highways it replaces makes an exception at Midwest and is routed 7 miles west of this stinkhole through some of the ugliest scenery in the state. This is not far enough because when the wind is from the east, well, you know...

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. chivo243 Silver badge
        Facepalm

@Symon

The shop keeper said: "who left dung deposits so foul that, as Buckley put it, “You’d swear a horse did it.”

I read foul to mean light a match get rid of that smell, my eyes are watering, my automatic gag reflex is in overdrive and my windpipe is involuntarily slamming shut

1. PNGuinn
          Mushroom

Re: Horse did it? chivo423

Wot - you mean like a teen's trainers (Sneekers for you lot over the pond)?

>> Need this to get rid of the pong?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Coat

A horse walks into a bar...

The barman says, "why the long face?"

The horse neighs, "I've just been caught crapping three times outside a shop!"

The barman says, "what did the shopkeeper say?"

The horse replies, "shoe!"

Hmm. Not even a smile from any of you...

I think I need to work on this a bit more.

1. Hollerithevo

Re: A horse walks into a bar...

Because the shopkeeper said 'Whoa!"

4. BarryUK

Yeah, very amusing, but the guy obviously has mental health issues. I assume you wouldn't poke fun at someone with a broken leg for walking funny? I guess it just shows how poorly understood mental health is that you consider this an amusing story.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sadly, some do "make fun" and worse of the person who has a funny walk. Never an "okay" situation.

That said, it is not up to the shopkeeper to deal with this man's crap!

1. Vic

Sadly, some do "make fun" and worse of the person who has a funny walk. Never an "okay" situation.

That depends on whether or not it's funny.

There's a TV programme over here called The Last Leg. Two of the three presenters have artificial legs. Many of their guests are in some way disabled - particularly during the Paralympics. And they take the piss *mercilessly* out of everyone - able-bodied or disabled. It's an equal-opportunities piss-take.

I thoroughly recommend it...

Vic.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Yeah, very amusing, but the guy obviously has mental health issues"

I have been subjected to flaming on another site due to perceived "social justice warrioring", but I don't think I've ever deserved it as much as this.

You know, even mental health professionals joke about their charges. He hasn't been named, vigilantes aren't after him with toilet brushes and stuff for getting clean round the bend, when faced with the weird shit that some people get up to and if you aren't personally involved, laugh that you may not weep may be the best option.

3. Bloakey1

"Yeah, very amusing, but the guy obviously has mental health issues. I assume you wouldn't poke fun at someone with a broken leg for walking funny? I guess it just shows how poorly understood mental health is that you consider this an amusing story."

Not necessarily, it could have any cause ranging from sexual to revenge, a bet perhaps? Mental health is not the one I would plonk for first.

I reserve the right to laugh at anything that I deem a fitting subject. I do not need the likes of you to arbitrarily tell me what topic I am allowed to laugh at and what not.

Well, now that the Phantom Shitter of Old Dublin Town has been caught, we can go back to the Kinahan - Hutch feud and the funeral of the Queen of the Travellers.

4. Pen-y-gors

Mental health issues?

I assume you wouldn't poke fun at someone with a broken leg for walking funny?

I think you assume wrongly...I know that if I had a broken leg and was walking funny I'd be taking the piss out of myself. Have you never watched 'The last leg' on Channel 4?

One of the loveliest things that came out of all the paralympic coverage is that it made it very clear that 'disabled people' on the whole aren't. They are actually just people with a disability - which means they are people just the same as everyone else, with a personality, emotions and a sense of humour (or no sense of humour, of course). They don't need protection from well-meaning people - 'Does he take sugar?' my arse - try asking!

</rant>

5. phuzz Silver badge

The line about him being a “local...respectable...family man” implies that he doesn't have any personality oddities big enough to be mentioned. Except for the whole 'shitting in the street' thing obviously.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Political correctness run amok

I'm not a Trumpian "political correctness is ruining our country" kind of guy, but things are going too far if you can't criticize someone for shitting in the street because they might have mental issues!

When you get down to it, pretty much everyone who commits mass murder obviously has mental issues. I guess we should only say nice things about them, too?

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"the guy obviously has mental health issues"

"Obviously"? Really? Are you a professional with direct knowledge of this person? Or are you him, in person and just a teensy bit embarrassed?

7. quxinot

Oh, the guy crapping on the shop and causing a potentially biohazardous, nevermind disgusting, issue is the victim?

Some people have various disabilities, both mental and physical. And it's not an excuse, that doesn't make them victims. A lot more than half of humanity fits into some category of impediment or another. It's part of us, and we take responsibility for who we are and our shortcomings.

Someone that "doesn't have anything against the shop" and yet shits on it three times? That's not a mental problem. That's being full of shit (QED).

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"Just a small portion of the Reg’s prodigious journalistic muscle has been devoted to this story ..."

Just out of idle curiosity, does the muscle mentioned fall into this category?

6. bouncy

What a crap story ;) gutter press ;)

7. Warm Braw

Buckley’s famously well priced loo roll

I'm glad to see this resolved - I'd hate to have thought that the noxious deposit was caused a bad case of viral marketing and the tissue concerned was not simply of paper.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

Er ...

Did he buy any of the loo roll - or just leave a deposit?

1. Mutton Jeff

Re: Er ...

Doubt there'll be any return value.

10. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

Sponsor:

"Keep your data close and your cloud options open." Hmm.

Error: dump device full.

The night has a thousand irate shopkeepers.

You might have mentioned (if you didn't - I forget) that Dublin is the crapital of Ireland.

And one of its literary classics almost is "The Turd Policeman". So they probably have had that one.

Mystery stomach-upset man rumbled.

"Now might I do it, splat"

These are my pat answers.

11. Androgynous Cupboard Silver badge

Poor chap

Sounds like a bad dose of Ian Duncan Smith. At least I think that's what the initials stand for.

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Poor chap

No, that would have to be a B not a D...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Sounds like a bad dose of Ian Duncan Smith. At least I think that's what the initials stand for."

I have IBS, but I've never done anything like that. On the other hand, I'd rather have IBS than have IDS come anywhere near me.

1. Bloakey1

"I have IBS, but I've never done anything like that. On the other hand, I'd rather have IBS than have IDS come anywhere near me."

Commiserations. They are both a pain the arse as it were although IDS would probably create anxiety attacks and irritability of the grey matter.

2. John Sturdy
        Coat

Ian Bunkum Smith?

12. DNTP

I AM AN IT PROFESSIONAL

PERFORMING EMERGENCY DOWNLOADS

13. ZSn

Dogs

And if he was a dog owner that let his dog shit all over the street that would somehow be acceptable. Perhaps they should pass a law that allows you to crap on dog owners front gardens when you want...

1. David Nash Silver badge

Re: Dogs

Not sure about Dublin but it's not really acceptable any more in the UK. People are expected to bag it and bin it, although a few seem to find it clever to just bag it and leave it.

14. Fink-Nottle
    IT Angle

It's a Dublin thing.

For example, U2 keep leaving unwanted shite in my iTunes directory.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: It's a Dublin thing.

Don't forget the constant stream of diarrhea that is called Bob Geldof.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

The perpetrator said he was sorry...

But have you considered that he was only talking shit?

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

CCTV

I wonder if was on recording all the time, or movement detection?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: CCTV

Camera illumination: Infra-red or moon light?

2. hplasm
      Happy

Re: CCTV

Motion detection, I think you mean...

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon