back to article 2 in 3 Millennials block ads

With annoying animations plastered over pages, and malware injecting itself via malicious banners, is it any surprise that two out of three young adults block web ads? A survey of 2,700 Millennials aged 18 to 24 in the US has this week revealed that two-thirds use ad blockers on desktop and mobile devices. The poll was carried …

1. Grunchy Silver badge

Only 2 out of 3?

It should be 3 out of 3, and all age groups to boot. I also boycott any website that blocks me from viewing because of my ad blocker.

(Well my boycott is moot, technically they blocked me first. I guess all I'm doing is not giving up the ad blocker).

1. Mark 85

Sooner or later, the ad industry will have to clean themselves up. Blocking you because you use an malware/annoyance condom is a problem that needs to be sorted out between the websites and the advertising people. If they as a group don't sort this out, a lot of websites will just not get any traffic and die.

The blame isn't with us users/readers, it's with the industry.

1. David 132 Silver badge

Amen. I block adverts, not because I'm cheap, or a freeloader, or call-me-what-you-will... but because I don't want to risk malware infection or migraine from obnoxious flashing/auto-playing video/whatever.

Can we also hope that automatic geo-redirections will die too?

Here's a clue, webmasters: if I type "<yoursite>.com", I want to go to "<yoursite>.com", not ".co.uk" or whatever, you stupid cockwombles. Grr. The culprits know who they are.

2. Ketlan
    Happy

Away with all ads...

'A survey of 2,700 Millennials aged 18 to 24 in the US has this week revealed that two-thirds use ad blockers on desktop and mobile devices.'

And a hundred percent of the adults I know use ad blockers! More power to 'em.

3. Sebastian A

I'm 40 and every time I see someone browsing the net without an adblocker I almost have an allergic reaction. How can anyone live with that visual pollution?

4. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

I thought it was said the millennials didn't mind because they'd been brought up with such things. Maybe there's still hope for the human race.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do not ask me to turn off my ad blocker.

The only way ads are getting though is if you take full responsibility and self-host them.

(Which will literally never happen because that's not how automatic ad auctions work)

6. snikky

Meanwhile, over at the Inq

They have now started blocking those with adblockers. And of course, most folks will simply ignore their site altogether now. Pure genius...

1. Sebastian A

Re: Meanwhile, over at the Inq

Element hider addin can be useful for adblocking the panels they cover content with, if you really want to see it.

Usually it's an easy decision to make. I can't see the content without disabling adblocker? Guess I don't need to see the content. Bye.

2. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Meanwhile, over at the Inq

Use NoScript. Stop them from running scripts on your machine, and they have no idea you're blocking ads.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Millennial shmillenial

Use of that term makes it redundant.

8. Chris Gray 1
    Happy

Agree: NoScript

I don't use an adblocker. I *do* block scripts from all but a few sites. I find very few really annoying ads, and with scripts not running, I should be safe from web malware. (Well, plus, I run Linux.) However, I will also admit that I don't visit all that many sites. El Reg is the only media site that I have a login on! Something about the sense of whimsy here...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two browser solution

I use firefox (with Ghoster, HTTPSeverywhere, NoScript, AdBlock+ & ShowIP inc ff tracking protection) for most browsing and all this + private mode for financial.

Then have Chrome with no extras for those sites (flash etc) which refuse to work with the above for the 2 or 3 sites where access is wanted but blocked on the ff browser.

And Fedora as the OS as well

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon