back to article Mangstor, Mellanox flash rig crowned 'fastest in the lab'... for RAID-0

Trusty Storage Review has been at it again, testing a Mangstor-Mellanox NVMe over Fabrics (NVMeF) rig servicing a MySQL virtual cluster – and finding it 2.5x faster than any other flash array it's ever tested. The Mangstor kit comprised an NX6325 all-flash array with 4 x 2.7TB add-in card (AIC) NVMe flash drives stuffed into …

1. Nate Amsden

too bad

They don't seem to give any comparison points other than

"The NX6325 topped out at 38,673 TPS, while the previous record holder for a modern flash shared-storage solution came in at "only" 17,316 TPS."

So difficult to know just how fast it is. They give no indication(that I can see I didn't read word for word just browsed through the paragraphs of the site) of IOPS, or throughput actually achieved(they quote the specs of the system though).

Also seems the memory cache they used was way too low, 24GB ? 800GB DB and if you really care about performance memory is cheap I would bump it to at least 128GB. I imagine they set it low to stress the storage more, though I imagine not difficult to run a couple of tests with different configurations.

at my org 99% of OLTP MySQL DBs activity comes out of the buffer cache, main use for storage is for writing log files.

I remember our first DBA got hired and we built out first data center, I hooked a MySQL VM up to our small 3PAR array and he ran his benchmarks (sysbench I think ?? I don't recall). He was blown away by how fast everything was. I was blown away by how little disk I/O was actually being generated(maybe it was in the sub 200 IOPS range or something tiny). He was used to running very large databases(hundreds of them) at a very very large company, so I assumed he knew what he was doing (I sure as hell don't know how that benchmark works). In any case everything was fine when we went live that was all that mattered at the end of the day.

1. testlabnut

Re: too bad

Kevin @ SR here

We included some screen grabs of the performance level while the tests were running, but the main attraction really is the application performance numbers. We have a lot of historical data on Sysbench if you look through some of our past reviews. We didn't chart anything head to head on this one since it was pretty far from the norm. Closest top number would be the ScaleIO project (which this had more than doubled) but its very dissimilar storage.

On the DRAM size, we ended up narrowing in on 24GB since it stressed the storage the most. The test was around showing MySQL performance across various high-end storage types. At the end of the day, the number worked and its been one we have lots of apples-to-apples comparison points against.

2. Computurd

Interesting.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon