back to article UK.gov depts in post-Mad Frankie Maude landgrab over IT spending controls

Government departments are winning significantly more exemptions to splash the cash on expensive IT projects since the departure of former Cabinet Office minister Francis “Mad Frankie” Maude last year, according to a Register analysis. The Department for Work and Pensions alone was given the green light for £200m in IT …

1. TimR

Good or Bad?

I wonder which is worse?

wasting (relatively) little money - due to Mad Frankie''s frugality (possibly good) and GDS' insistance of one (simple) size fits all (definitely bad)

wasting lots of money on unrestrained hair brained schemes - but with an outside chance of using the right technology to meet a requirement

1. Hollerithevo

Re: Good or Bad?

erm.. 'hare brained'. Hares were seen as mad ('March hare', when hares leap about like wee demented creatures).

1. TimR

Re: Good or Bad?

Hollerithevo - correction noted & fully accepted

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

"Due to missing year-on-year spend figures"

For me, this is proof that the whole canoodle is nothing but a carefully orchestrated smokescreen to enable pork-barrel contracts and personality building.

A government branch simply cannot have "missing" accounting controls. They are ACCOUNTABLE.

The IT spend shambles starts right there. Somebody needs to bring that house back in order, and Brexit is NOT going to help.

1. James 51
      Joke

Re: "Due to missing year-on-year spend figures"

Without the farm payments from the EU lots of farms will close and they won't need that system any more. See, Brexit can help.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The Department for Work and Pensions alone was given the green light for £200m in IT spending in the last quarter of 2015, twice the amount it was granted in the same period in 2014."

I'm sure they'll manage to spend it. Whether we see anything in return is a different matter.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Windows

Also...

ODF is dead, it is an ex. initiative

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Also...

@J J Carter

No its just pining for the fjords

5. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Enemies within are hiding out everywhere in plain sight feathered nests ‽ .

"Was former Cabinet Office minister Francis 'Mad Frankie' Maude in the pay of a foreign power whilst in office?" ...... seems like an appropriate question for asking.

And who foots his bills and paves his ways nowadays may be truly revealing?

If you aint making things better, you're making things worse, and that is the work of enemies, surely?

And/or fools too, of course.

6. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

How many billions did GCHQ get?

Oh wait, that National Security, which is of course completely out any one control

7. Disk0
    Coat

Does they even realise...

...the average App costs about £ 4,99? And seriously, even the government does not need 40,080 apps.

Mine's the one with the political calculator in the side pocket

8. Bob Vistakin
    Facepalm

Nice pic El Reg, I get the jerrycan reference

What a star. Doubly so.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like