back to article Unis don't pay ransom

Bournemouth University in the UK was hit by 21 ransomware attacks in the past 12 months, according to records unearthed by a Freedom of Information request. The request was made by endpoint security firm SentinelOne, which also revealed to The Register that 60 per cent of 71 universities it questioned had been hit by …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Backups

I can't speak for the experiences at other universities, but the one I work for restores from backup when attacked by ransomware.

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
      Facepalm

Re: Backups

We used Point-in-Time backups that go back over two years AND have tape going back five on all network shares. Biggest issue is staff putting "can't live without" things on their desktops instead of on the network servers.

Our format and reinstall policy for a badly infected PC / laptop has caught a lot of folks out.

2. tin 2

FOI study? is that what we call burning-time-that-your-potential-customers-don't-have-in-the-first-place now?

1. Bumpy Cat

Too true

If I had to spend time answering an FOI for a company, I'd have some very choice words for them if they came back trying to market me something on the back of the FOI results.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon