back to article Blackberry beats the vendors it trails, finishes Quadrooter patches

It may now live in the frozen wastes of the “other” in smartmobe market share sales charts, but Blackberry has moved faster on Quadrooter than the rest of the Android OEMs. The company's announced a patch for both its PRIV and its DTEK50 Android mobes. Its announcement notes that “three out of the four” vulns were already …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You listening

Samsung???

1. seven of five

Re: You listening

Not only Samsung, all of them - including Goo^H^H^HAlphabet.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not all Samsungs. Apparently, the EU versions don't use a Qualcomm CPU, so are unaffected. A couple of my colleagues with Samsungs (S6 and S7) don't have it.

3. eclairz

The only way they'll listen is if people stop buying Samsung and start buying BlackBerry, else they won't bat an eyelid.

2. Hans 1
    Paris Hilton

Security Sieves are Always More Popular

cf title

Paris coz she dunno what a security sieve is ...

3. seven of five

You (Mr Chirgwin) can cut the smug grin.

Your tone is inadequate. RIM did an excellent job here and deserves better than a sarcastic remark.

1. OrinokoMatt

Re: You (Mr Chirgwin) can cut the smug grin.

Nothing like kicking a dog when they are down.. BlackBerry should be congratulated for keeping their promises.

4. Jess

Re: BlackBerry should be congratulated for keeping their promises.

For once.

Where is BB 10 on the Playbook?

I was also unimpressed by the list of things that my Q5 could not do that the 9700 could. (Although BB10 was otherwise a great platform, it was just very unfinished).

Things that spring to mind that annoyed me.

Scheduled power on/off. (Result; the power button on the Q5 is now well dodgy)

wifi calling. (UMA on 9700, not so important now because of bria)

Ability to choose 2G only (I used to travel through an area where 3G was totally unreliable, the old BB was fine, switched to 2G. The new one, useless there).

There were lots more when I first got the device, each new version of BB10 knocked a few more off the list.

I was waiting until the list got sufficiently short to invest in a Passport to replace the Q5.

No way am I spending hundreds on an Android Phone. Apple is too locked down. So basically I have decided I won't have a personal smartphone any more.

End result; Q5 replaced with £60 Chinese 10" phablet (which was intended to be a stop gap, but is actually so good, I'm sticking with it.)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

To be fair

Blackberry do have a lot of staff with not a lot to do.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like