back to article Samsung points high-speed Z-SSD smack-bang at XPoint

The big flash dog has barked: Samsung did its flash dazzlement show at the Flash Memory Summit, with a 32TB SSD, a 1TB BGA, and a high-speed Z-SSD. The 32TB SSD is built using 64-layer 3D NAND - its V-NAND brand - with TLC - 3bits/cell - orientation. 64-layer V-NAND The 64-layer TLC V-NAND was revealed at the end of July and …

1. Paul 135

Process?

What process is Samsung using here? I read that the only reason it could get it's TLC VNAND to be reliable in the EVO 850 was to use a larger 40 nm process, so am wondering if it's the same here.

2. Joerg

Z-NAND is still just crap NAND. So unreliable.

3D XPoint main selling point is top-notch reliability first and then higher performance that NAND technology just can't feature even in its most expensive SLC configuration.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"3D XPoint main selling point is top-notch reliability first"

3D XPoint is vapourware until it starts selling - and until it starts selling there's no field data on reliability or speed.

3D NAND on the other hand is selling well and quite reliable.

2. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Holmes

So, what is your position with Micron, anyway?

1. Michael Duke

He COULD be working for Intel....

3. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@joerg: once more, with feeling: write life doesn't matter to everyone.

There is a place for different classes of solid state storage with different write lives and different speeds.

And you can tell Intel/Micron I'm still waiting for the xpoint units for review that I was promised. Everyone else has theirs, so let's chop chop, eh?

4. TeeCee Gold badge
      Facepalm

Well, reliability is something only proven in long-term use. Exactly how many large scale XPoint installations with a couple of years of usage are there out there to back that up?

Hmm, what's that horrible smell? Could it be Horse? Sheep? Pig? No it's definitely Bull...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like