back to article 'Clock Bomb Kid' family sues

The family of a Texas high school student arrested for taking apart a clock and bringing it to school is now suing the school district for civil rights violations. Ahmed Mohamed, 14, was briefly held last year and led out of school in handcuffs after school officials were worried that clock parts he stashed inside a pencil …

1. Sebastian A

Suing for $15m in "damages" after the kid got to meet the president? Now you know they've assimilated, that's a truly American thing to do.

1. Mark 85

I'm betting there's a few lawyers who really pushed for this lawsuit. Since they moved out of the country, this smells very fishy...

1. James O'Shea

They moved out of the _county_. They still live in the _country_.

And, frankly, I'd have gone for a lot more than $15 M.

1. Neoc

@James O'Shea

According to the article, they fled the USofA: "...out of the country..."

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"They moved out of the _county_. They still live in the _country_."

In which state is Qatar?

3. Mark 85

@James O'Shea

Ahmed's family, who have since moved out of the country to continue his schooling

Article says they moved out of the country.

2. James O'Shea

$15 million in damages after the kid was 'detained' 'cause he's brown and of a different religion.

I remember building actual things which could explode in high school, mostly in an effort to make solid-fuel rocket motors, but on one memorable occasion a few of my (many, hey, we're Irish) cousins and I built a liquid fuel system using hypergolic fuels which were just a tad too hypergolic. Really big boom.

For fun we made nitrocellulose and nitroglycerin (it's easy; not blowing yourself up or dissolving yourself in sulfuric or nitric acids, that's more difficult) and we used material from our high school chemistry lab to do it. That's real, actual, explosives. The only consequence was after the liquid-fueled rocket blew up on the launch pad we got grounded for six months.

3. Ian Michael Gumby

Its the long con...

The 'clock' was a commercial clock opened up and put in to the case to make it look like a bomb.

He's a fraud.

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Civil rights violations are very serious and a consolation prize doesn't cut it.

2. David Roberts
    Go

Good for them

Sadly, massive law suits are the only deterrent to some people.

3. 2460 Something

The way he was treated was absolutely atrocious but even with that initially I was still in the '$15million, that's just ridiculous and opportunistic!' camp. However, after thinking about it a bit further, all of these institutions (be that police, school or other) are driven by money. Maybe the best way to prevent similar disgustingly small minded and racist behaviour is to hurt their pockets so that they remember the lesson.

They won't get anything near to the initial damages sort, but it is also, presumably, down to it being America and the land of the free market lawyer. They are starting their negotiations from a good figure, there will be an undisclosed settlement at some point in the future for a smaller amount plus legal fees (which will probably dwarf any payment). And on the plus side, whatever he gets out of it (and he most likely will get a reasonable amount) pays for his (and maybe even his siblings) educations and gives them a better financial start in life. Go for it and good luck to them.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon