back to article Baddie addies

Security firm RiskIQ reports a five-fold increase in malicious advertising in the first half of this year. In the first half of 2016 malvertising-related blacklist incidents rose to 1.7 million – a total increase of 400 per cent from the same period in 2015 (368,000). In 2014 as a whole, RiskIQ tracked 250,000 incidents …

1. Sebastian A

Adblocking isn't just a personal preference anymore, it's a vital security precaution. The industry really needs to change if it expects to survive, let alone thrive.

1. Adam 52 Silver badge

Even if the industry changes people won't remove their ad-blockers. How many people whitelist sites that curate ads at the moment - almost noone (except for the inevitable commentard below).

Decent, real-time malicious ad blocking server side might help, but no one client side will trust it unless it's one of those odious client side vendor - publisher paid whitelists.

2. Flywheel

A little badger tells me that he's seen 9 trackers on our dear El Reg site, but the London Evening Standard has a staggering 30. There's an even more staggering 38 on Mail Online (nearly 60 on the celeb pages)

And these people wonder we install blockers? Tsk!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who even needs more than ONE tracker?

I used to use Google analytics, but got rid of it because it janked up my site (and for my user's privacy). The shit-fest of 30+ trackers must be absolutely unbearable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon