back to article Scalr hosting hit with outage

Cloud management biz Scalr.com was yesterday hit by an outage which knocked customer websites offline. In a post, the company said the problem had been due to an update that included flawed logic, causing server records to be removed but not AWS servers or other cloud servers. One customer got in touch this morning to …

1. Ragarath

Ah, the cloud, wonderful, until it's not.

I've just moved our webserver to "The Cloud" will be interesting.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Good luck with that.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Headmaster

Webservers in the cloud are pretty mundane, anyone wishing "good luck with that" should pull their finger out of the arse and get with the program labeled "post-2010" double quick.

And aren't webservers "in the cloud" in any case?

2. Nate Amsden

scalr was crap 6 years ago

Regular outages and screw ups. The concept was interesting just implimented poorly (same goes for EC2)

It was cheap though. I recall rightscale wanted more than 50,000 dollars a month to do similar things as scalr which was a tiny fraction of the cost. Company was spending about 400k a month on cloud services. Recipe for success there.

If it was up to me I wouldn't use either. Company i was at imploded years ago so not really a concern anymore

Things don't change quickly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: scalr was crap 6 years ago

They been OK for the last 4 years we have been using them.

This is the first major outage we have been hit by whilst using them, other than VMs going awol and the flaky windows support but you can work around that.

3. MotionCompensation

Proof that cloud scales well

All these incidents are proof that the cloud concept works, as far as scaling is concerned. The effects of mistakes are scaled up to match.

To err is human.

To really foul things up, you need a computer.

Imagine what you can do with a cloud full of computers, programmed to work together!

4. empiror

Tiredness - A great Excuse

Apparently more mistakes were made casued by tiredness! I've never heard that excuse given publicly before - not great.

https://scalr-wiki.atlassian.net/wiki/display/docs/2016/07/19/Hosted+Scalr+Issue%3A+an+additional+update

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like