back to article World-Check terror suspect DB hits the web at just US$6750

The World-Check database that lists "heightened risk individuals and organizations" is reportedly up for sale on the dark web. The database is a commercial product offered by Thomson Reuters, which bills it as a useful tool for those fighting money laundering, "organized crime, sanctions, Countering the Financing of Terrorism …

1. Neoc

"It is being offered for 10 Bitcoins (US$6750, £6098, A$8945) for the entire database.

...LinkedIn breach database dating back to 2012 for 1.2 bitcoins (US$1084, £980, A$1436)."

Based on the 1st set of numbers, 1 Bitcoin is US$675.00, £609.80 or A$894.50

Based on the 2nd set of numbers, 1 Bitcoin is US$903.33, £816.67 or A$1196.67

Why the 33% jump in prices between the two? Is it more expensive to buy 1 Bitcoin that to buy 10?

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Trollface

Bitcoin value is what stock market guys call a "volatile product".

At any given moment, it can be going up or down, by anything from 1% to 25%.

In other words, take a handful of pebbles and throw them in the air above a bowl. What falls into the bowl determines the value of a bitcoin.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

BitCoin volatility

is driven by the ASIC fad a few years back - it became possible to mine BTC for far less than they were "worth" which skewed the market.

Also the maths behind the mining is a little shonky. Cryptocurrencies rely on the initial parameters - get these wrong, and the rate/difficulty of mining can drift off over time.

Having had to do deep research in to blockchain, I can see a niche for consultant mathematicians ....

Current upswing in BTC is being driven by companies quietly stocking up on a few BTC in case they have a ransomware attack.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

What are "spookhaüses"?

If you can't use Umlaute properly, you shan't have any!

1. DarkwavePunk

re: umlaute

But...but...think of all the poor '80s hair-metal bands :(

2. This post has been deleted by its author

4. I am the liquor

Exhange rates

£1 = $1.10? I know sterling has tanked since the Brexit vote, but I didn't realise it was that bad.

5. Aodhhan

Value

Bitcoins aren't valued on anything. Nobody uses them as an investment, since they aren't backed by anything and there is no guarantee.

The value goes up and down based on demand and to ensure the company itself profits; i.e., a commission.

If some wealthy companies find the need to use bitcoin a lot, the value goes up due to demand. If the number of companies/individuals using Bitcoin services goes down, the value goes down. It's this simple.

Companies don't invest in bitcoins because it's too risky and volatile, and they don't buy a few bitcoins in case they are hit by ransomeware. Why would they? It would be wiser to put money into an investment which is a lot less risky and more likely to provide a profit. Then purchase bitcoins as needed.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like