back to article Pokemon Go DDoS claim

An online group has claimed responsibility for launching a distributed denial of service (DDoS) attack against Pokemon Go. The DDoS-disruption group says it overloaded the game's servers over the weekend, causing players across the world to be kicked back into the real world. Pokemon creator Niantic has not commented on the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pokemon Go ate my balls.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not true

Anyone playing it knows the servers have been jittery for ages.

3. Don Dumb
    Terminator

Not just Poodlecorp

'OurMine' also claim to have taken down the login process today, of course they only have good security in mind. Which is why they claim that “No one will be able to play this game till Pokemon Go contact us on our website to teach them how to protect it!”

Of course, OurMine could have volunteered that lesson to Niantic but OurMine would rather charge for that lesson.

No, I didn't think it was at all like a protection racquet either.

In truth, it is difficult to estimate whether this is a malicious DDOS or just insufficient server capacity for the demand.

4. Dapprman

I assume the latter. Almost certainly they had up-scaled the Ingress, however I don't think anyone expected it to be the success is has become, especially not so quickly

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Success?

This is a fad, so needs to be pumped hard before it burns out.

Can't happen soon enough too, because the clumsy advertorials in the press are becoming tiresome.

5. NonSSL-Login

Niantic have been unable to keep their servers up under normal use, let alone with any attack on top. No point in taking servers down that are already not responding due to incompetency.

Choosing to release the game in another 26 countries when the first 5 countries were already unable to play for days due to poor elasticity or scaling, was a poor choice imo. The game has been out for 12 days and there have been server problems for 12 days.

6. Dave Bell

Here in the UK, school holidays are starting.

That may have been a deadline for them.

The weekend was already bad.

Servers are expensive, and they won't want to have a surplus when the is summer over. But will they have paid the capital bills by then?

It's not a bad excuse for a walk, but I wonder if they could have done a better job of providing the data. I get the impression that they don't cache the Pokemon. They're always being uploaded.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm not complaining

If it is a DDoS, thanks for making the world a better place!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon