back to article Microsoft COO jumps ship

Kevin Turner has ended his 11-year stint as chief operating officer for Microsoft and is moving to become CEO of financial firm Citadel Securities. Turner was one of the most reviled senior managers at Redmond and his departure has been expected for some time. He was hired by Steve Ballmer from Walmart, where he spent 20 years …

1. John 104

So, will the crap stack ranking go away with his departure? Or will it remain as a nasty legacy?

1. Mikel

My understanding is that stack ranking ended with Ballmer. No idea what form of torture they replaced it with though.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. bombastic bob Silver badge

employees ranking one another

"what made Turner such a hated figure at Microsoft was his introduction of score carding – a system he brought over from Walmart where employees rank each other on their output. Since this is tied directly to bonuses, it led to a poisonous political atmosphere in the company and is cited by many as the worst thing about working for the software giant."

too bad they didn't have CUSTOMERS rank them... that might actually make *SENSE*.

[then people like ME, who *HATE* Win-10-nic and Windows "Ape" (8.x), can give them all a 5 'stinky diapers' rating, as deserved]

but yeah, the internal politics of employees 'ranking' one another, well, RANKS.

4. djstardust

Jesus wept

Can I get the job?

First things I'd do are find out anyone involved in either the purchase of LinkedIn or development of Win 10 and reduce their salaries by 90‰

The company are completely detached from reality... and their customers.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nadella used the system to get at the top...

.... now removes the system to avoid to be replaced.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon