back to article Gartner: Brexit cluster-fsck has ballsed up our spending forecast

Tech spending forecasters at Gartner are all in a tizzy – Brexit and currency fluctuations are both to blame. At the start of this year, the crystal ball stroker estimated the industry would grow 0.5 per cent in 2016, then flip flopped and reduced this prediction by a full percentage point to $3.49 trillion, blaming the …

1. veti Silver badge

Brexit must be a gift to forecasters

For the next year, they've got a simple go-to excuse for why nothing has worked out the way they said it would.

It's an ill wind.

2. Alister
    Facepalm

Tech spending forecasters at Gartner are all in a tizzy

Ha! They didn't see that one coming, did they!

1. Christian Berger

I'm sure that...

Gartner regularly is surprised by the arrival of night, or winter.

I mean was there anything they ever got right? Their whole purpose seems to be tech marketing. Predict that product X will be popular in the future and maybe that will attract some interest.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm sure that...

Gartner & Co are all hot air.

My neighbour works for them, he is full of hot air too..

3. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Gartner in 'totally wrong' shock! Again!

Blames whole country, still manages to raise invoice!

4. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Stop

Please don't report like all the others

"At the start of this year, the crystal ball stroker estimated the industry would grow 0.5 per cent in 2016, then flip flopped and reduced this prediction by a full percentage point to $3.49 trillion, blaming the negative affect of forex rates."

That's exactly what I would expect to read in an article anywhere else. Meaningless comparisons between numbers and values that have no immediate significance or relation. It's what everyone does, so nobody gets any blame for bad reporting.

If you start giving out figures in percentages, keep with percentages. No reader can possibly understand what $3.49 trillion is compared to 0.5%, so spell it out when you do things like that. Give us a correlation point. Tell us how many trillion are in the 0.5%, then give us the trillion that result from the percentage point drop.

Otherwise you're just spouting impressive-sounding noise. Do not copy how all other news outlets do the job : they do it specifically so nobody can understand.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are these the same guys

who have been predicting an "upturn" in PC sales for the past X years ?

I called the PC as an obsolete concept 6 years ago - and am typing this on an 8 year old Win7 box that is still more than enough.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Are these the same guys

"I called the PC as an obsolete concept 6 years ago - and am typing this on an 8 year old Win7 box that is still more than enough."

Why are you typing on an obsolete concept?

1. Ragarath

Re: Are these the same guys

I was going to say the same thing. The PC is not an obsolete concept, the idea of people buying new ones so often is due to the fact that there are no massive advances happening.

6. Naselus

So...

How do they explain the other 500 times they've been wildly wrong?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you please stop using fsck as an expletive

It gets added to email profanity block-lists, and ends up stopping support emails from being delivered, as I have found on several occasions.

Thankyou.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: Can you please stop using fsck as an expletive

"ends up stopping support emails from being delivered"

It must make getting email support for Unix systems a tad problematic.

8. Tim 11

Brexit

Wherever we end up (and let's face it, nobody really knows, no matter what they say) , I'm pretty sure it'll have been worth it just to see all our "authority figures" running round panicking and trying to blame everyone else for things that are just to go wrong.

1. Down not across

Re: Brexit

It certainly does provide that kind of entertainment. Just a shame that it is starting to become somewhat expensive entertainment given how GBP is sinking against EUR and USD.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like