back to article US hospitals hacked with ancient exploits

Attackers have popped three prominent US hospitals, using deliberately ancient malware so old that it slips under the radar of modern security controls to compromise Windows XP boxes and gain network beacheads. The attacks were foiled using deceptive honeypot-style frameworks, according to California-based TrapX. Hospitals …

1. Baldy50

IoT

One more reason not to do IT.

2. g00se
    WTF?

Surprised?

I must be missing something obvious, since i can't see why you'd use a toy sieve of an OS for mission-critical work in the first place ..?

1. Allan George Dyer

Re: Surprised?

But Windows XP was sold as, "the most secure version of Windows - ever". Or was that Windows 2000?

1. Fungus Bob

Re: Surprised?

Vista

3. Allan George Dyer
    Joke

Ancient Exploits?

Don't tell me, the hospital porters wheeled in the wooden horse they found in the ambulance bay...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Ancient Exploits?

You mean the X-ray machines?

Seriously, would not be surprised if infections rode in on imaging software updates. I have seen some shit. Medical software companies are complacent... ancient proprietary software that barely works on XP, but hospitals keep paying for it... pretty nice racket.

4. wyatt

Look at my brand new, state of the art stable door! Unfortunately we haven't got anyone to check if it is open, closed or someone has attempted to bypass it.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Ah, Schrödinger's stable door.

5. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, so much for 'security by obscurity'.

6. kbannan

It is only going to get worse until people start being more proactive and realizing all the actual threats that are out there. From a white paper:

"Embedded devices such as industrial computers, POS (point of sale) machines, ATM

(automatic teller machines), physical security alarm systems, building automation

controllers, environmental controllers for heating and air conditioning (HVAC) systems,

and printers are often overlooked when it comes to cyber security. These devices do not

operate on a common mature operating system like Microsoft Windows, and each

manufacturer tends to use their own set of security features within these devices, if any

are applied at all. Most IT and Security departments focus most of their time and

resources in maintaining security levels for the corporate network devices and

computers, and solutions to protect embedded devices such as printers and industrial

HVAC controllers are a low priority, if not a nuisance."

Food for thought!

Karen Bannan for IDG and HP

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like