back to article Android security 'shame list'

Google may name and shame makers of Android phones, slabs and gizmos that do not push out security patches fast enough to people, it's reported. The ad giant is a bit cheesed-off that some manufacturers are being rather tardy in signing off and distributing patches for the lowest levels of its mobile operating system Its …

1. ZSn

Pot calling kettle

How about the Android's that *they* sell and only support for a year or two. I have a nexus 7 2012 I only bought (new) just over two years ago. After 18 months of support, it's over. Unsupported and vulnerable. Perhaps google can practise what it preaches.

1. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Pot calling kettle

"Who makes the Nexus phone?

As of April 2015 [update], the devices currently available in the line are the Nexus 6 smartphone (made with Motorola Mobility), Nexus 9 tablet (made with HTC), and Nexus Player digital media player (made with Asus). Devices in the Nexus line are considered Google's flagship Android products."

So there are names to put on the list.

2. Mark 85

Is it the manufacturers or the telcos that's the bottleneck? Buy a Samsung from AT&T and use it on their network and the updates come from AT&T.

1. Dadmin

I only ever saw AT&T App updates on the Sammy S4 I was using. The OS was still unpatched and anything that mentioned security fixes are part of AT&T specific telco-side network code delivered with their Apps. They have some carrier-initiated side-loading ability, as does the manufacturer, but the bulk of the OS remains as is until Sammy releases a real OS update for it, not just their own crApp. I'll check the device later, but I'm 90% sure the latest OS it runs is Ice Cream Sandwich or maybe Jellybean. I don't ever expect to see an update for it again.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon