back to article FCC gives the nod to $17.7bn US cable mega-merger (no, not that one)

America's internet mall cop the FCC has approved the proposed $17.7bn merger between Altice and US cable provider Cablevision. The deal, which is now only awaiting approval by state regulators, will give the Dutch-based telecoms biz Altice the fourth largest cable network in the US. If the gobble is successful, Cablevision …

1. Mark 85

More mergers.....

But let's not forget that certain politicos believe this all about the "choices" and "competition". I wonder if they'll still be telling us that when there's only one cable company or one Telco left.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: More mergers.....

Well, technically there would still be a choice, and it would be digital to boot. But yeah, huzzahs for free market forces.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More mergers.....

There are very few areas in the US where you have the choice of more than one cable company at the same address. So these mergers aren't really decreasing competition/choice for consumers, since it doesn't really matter if the one cable company I have available changes owners. These mergers are more about gaining more market power when negotiating with networks like Disney to get better pricing.

2. Mage Silver badge
    Mushroom

European company controlling swathes of American cable infrastructure.

Ha!

They worry about the wrong things.

Besides what about MS, Oracle, Murdoch, Apple, Google, Facebook, CIA, NSA etc. The pain the pain!

3. Dadmin
    Thumb Up

You guys, swath now means 1%!

This is great news for people who suck at maths! So, let me get my maths in order... 1.5 millions users plus 3 million users is about 8 millions users and that's about 1% of the 80,000,000,000(that's 14 kagillion to you and me!) current users here in the colonies!

HAHA! It's fun to make bad maths, but my point is that it's really only about 1% of total available users/customers. That's one fucking slim "swath."

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
      Headmaster

Re: You guys, swath now means 1%!

"1.5 millions users plus 3 million users is about 8 millions users"

Hmm, this must be that Common Core math I've heard so much about. On reflection, it looks like Common Core English, too. Looking at the overall post, let's call it Common Core reasoning, as well.

4. Someone Else Silver badge
    Flame

But, of course, this has F#~&all to do with the customer.

Actually, it has all the earmarks of one of those corporate tax "inversions"; Cablevision trying to pull a tax dodge by being "acquired" by the smaller, financially weaker, but conveniently foreign Altice.

Corporoscum trying to pad their bonuses. In the immortal words of Mel Brooks: "We've got to protect our phony-baloney jobs, gentlemen!"

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: smaller, financially weaker, but conveniently foreign Altice.

But they aren't an Irish foreign company.

Oh but they are Dutch!

1. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
        Coat

Re: smaller, financially weaker, but conveniently foreign Altice.

The Dutch are just trying to lend a hand to Cablevision to steer them to a happy ending.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like