back to article Bali banking bandits foiled by probing penetration tester

US penetration tester Matt South has ripped off and reverse-engineered an automated teller machine skimmer, finding videos of entered PINs stored within. The TrustFoundry consultant found the surreptitious skimmer on an ATM in Bali, Indonesia, after he jiggled the cover protecting the PIN entry bank and discovered it could be …

1. Roo
    Windows

I think he would have been better served making a hat from the "aluminium foil" rather than trying to fashion a faraday cage out of it. :)

2. Ru'

I can't even fit my hands properly under those cover things; they (for me, at least) make the process less secure.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I find

The best protection against card fraud is being skint.

Nobody have ever stolen anythibg off me because I am worth fuck all.

Collectively I have more upvotes from this so called website than I have money in the bank.

I wish reg upvotes worked like loyalty points. Get it sorted El Reg. I want to cash my upvotes in for beer tokens.

1. Pierre Castille

Re: I find

Reminds me of a colleague who had a sign on his desk that read "I came into the world with nothing - and I still have most of it left."

4. bep

Miserable security

Is it too much to expect that every morning the staff at the bank go out and physically inspect the ATMs at the branch to confirm this sort of crap isn't installed? Why does it take two weeks to find these things?

1. DryBones

Re: Miserable security

Because Bali.

2. Dale 3

Re: Miserable security

Not every ATM is at a bank branch. Yes the staff could to inspect the ones that are at branches, and it would reduce losses a little, but it does nothing for all the other ATMs.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like