back to article FCC 126MHz 5G auction

The FCC says that it will be able to offer 126MHz of spectrum space to US cell networks in its upcoming auction. The American comms regulator set the target with a planned May 31 start date for the auction, in which wireless carriers will bid on spectrum space previously used by TV stations for over-the-air broadcasts. The …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Q:The "126 MHz" is the 'How Much?', but of 'What Spectrum?'

A: It's apparently UHF spectrum around 600 MHz. TV UHF band.

Prime spectrum for mobile communications.

Even the FCC source documents aren't exactly forthcoming with this important detail.

2. BugabooSue
    FAIL

FCC 126MHz 5G auction

"The cell networks are expected to use their new radio frequencies to carry 5G high-speed mobile broadband across the country."

Only the *profitable* parts!!

The "Cell networks" haven't completed the roll-out of older services yet - "Across the country...!"

Expect contract prices to rise again.

3. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

What do TV stations and ITU think?

Propagation is too variable and far for cell type frequency re-use. That's why TV has so called "white space" (it is not "free" but part of spectrum planning to avoid interference.)

China will make the gadgets and they will be imported everywhere, interfering with Digital TV in other countries.

It's irresponsible even for USA, strengthening Cable and Satellite Pay TV over Free to Air. Non-TV already has far too much USA Spectrum. The 700 MHz re-allocaton was evil. This is more so.

800MHz, 700MHz and 600MHz is increasingly poor for frequency re-use leading to very large, erratic performance and low capacity cells.

Greed and Stupidity.

1. jonfr

Re: What do TV stations and ITU think?

They are just looking at the range on any given watt they can send out (to use the poor technical terms). But this area of frequency has its own problems. At this low frequency of 600Mhz there is a slight chance of signal bounce from distant location under certain conditions in the atmosphere. That risk drops with higher frequency. The risk here is that mobile transmitters located ~60 km away start to ping at location where there is no or poor signal during the day, as this is most common during the summer in the afternoon and in the mornings.

That is the same reason today that people can hear FM radio (or DAB+ radio at VHF 3 frequencies) at longer distance or get a television signal when same thing happens.

This might make mobile reception interesting in the U.S. This is less of a problem at 700Mhz and no problem at 800Mhz and above.

4. Chairman of the Bored
    WTF?

I dont understand something

OK - so Im taxed, excised, tarriffed, user fee-ed, and generally bent over so much that I walk funny all the time. So much of my income is going bye-bye that my wallet wants a divorce. And presumably some of my hard earned cash is funding the FCC and its godfather, the Dept of Commerce (whatever thats doing for me). And now it stands to 'make billions' in this next spectrum sale? I suppose their budget will be cut an equal amount ? Or the treasury gets a check? Didnt think so. So the question is... who is pocketing all the cash? How?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon