back to article Storage-class memory just got big – 256Mbit big, at least

Persistent storage that's just about as fast as RAM is widely held to be a year or three away from giving the server and storage industries a generational shakeup, and that change is now rather closer after US outfit Everspin started shipping samples of 256Mb Magnetoresistive random-access memory (MRAM). MRAM looks like DDR3 …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You fixed the headline.

The original in my RSS feed claimed a 256GB, not 256MB size, but by the time I got here you had already fixed the headline.

Nice catch, but you should have admitted the gaff as a footnote to forestall any complaints of clickbaiting.

It's still nice technology & I'd love to have a pair of 256GB sticks to install in my desktop - my excited evil cackling would be warning enough to acknowledge the birth of SkyNet.

1. PleebSmasher

Re: You fixed the headline.

The 16-32 GB sizes of XPoint are a good start towards holding OS and applications in "memory". We've seen how users desired to fit those things on 128 GB SSDs, with most of the pressure relieved at the 256 GB, and obliterated by 512 GB. XPoint is well on its way to matching those capacities, unlike this SCM sitting around at the RAM capacities of 10 years ago.

If only the OS and a few applications can sit on a 32 GB XPoint drive, it shouldn't be any trouble to let the OS sit on it permanently and copy applications as needed from the SSD, since the XPoint endurance is supposedly unlimited and copying does not hurt the SSD's endurance, only writing.

As much as we want to see terabyte-on-a-postage-stamp Crossbar, XPoint will do.

2. Block

"the cost of hardening a server to keep RAM electrified"

Wouldn't this just be the cost of a small rechargeable battery for use in power cuts?

MRAM seems like a no brainer but if the cost isn't lower than ram + battery i don't see the point for server side.

More useful in laptops and portable computing i would have thought.

1. Adam 1

Re: "the cost of hardening a server to keep RAM electrified"

That 'D' in ACID compliant for a start. Right now you can't flag a transaction as committed until the writes have hit the spinning rust or SSD, or at least until sufficient data has been written to a log somewhere to allow the data to be reconstructed in the event of a power failure. This makes that latency several orders of magnitude faster, which in turn reduces the duration of locks and the throughput boost that would provide.

I'm looking forward to it.

3. Blergh

Hybrid drive?

Could this be used as a MRAM+SSD hybrid drive, or maybe even HDD+SSD+MRAM Hybrid? I've no idea if that would work or be worth it, but maybe some combination would be useful.

1. PleebSmasher

Re: Hybrid drive?

This thing has to get up from the 300nm playground and deliver real capacities soon because 16/32 GB Intel XPoint will be shipping soon enough.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: Hybrid drive?

Lets wait until we actually see it shipping.

4. dlc.usa
    Boffin

Does It Also Need DRAM-style Refreshing?

No mention of that so I suppose it shares that feature.

1. dlc.usa

Re: Does It Also Need DRAM-style Refreshing?

The Wikipedia article makes it plain it persists without power--no refreshing required.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Small?

8GB DDR3 and DDR4 NVDIMMs have been available for a long time. How is 256MB progress?

1. Lee D Silver badge

Re: Small?

Because putting 32 of these onto a single production chip, when the samples are this size already, is far from impossible.

If we were talking 256 bits (like quantum machines), then you have a LONG way to go. But this is basically viable for practical use and OS development, with a box of them no bigger than a hard drive plugged into a dev hardware system.

Think console programmers, Linux, and the guys making Windows 11 (who had SSDs and things when they were making Vista / 7, and had portable Windows tablets back before the Windows XP For Tablets days - that's how long it takes to bring stuff like this to market).

6. PleebSmasher
    Facepalm

SCM

It's time to stop using a phrase like "Storage-Class Memory" to describe a product like MRAM, because HP and SanDisk are marketing something named Storage-Class Memory. Worst name ever, not even cool like XPoint, but there you have it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like