back to article Redmond turns to Linux AGAIN for Azure data science primer

Microsoft has taken a data science bundle it crafted last November and put it onto an Azure-hosted Linux VM. The combo, announced at Microsoft's Cortana blog, takes CentOS 7.2, runs it up as an Azure virtual machine image, and packages it with a slew of data science tools. Microsoft had already run up a Windows Server 2012- …

1. kryptylomese

Businesses want cloud agnosticism i.e. to be able to run their own images anywhere (any cloud infrastructure). Being able to play with the tools provided in this mix may benefit some but really businesses are going to be using a their own base image and Ansible/Puppet /etc to customise them.

Have a Centos image from Microsoft does strongly indicate that they are having to accept that the business world does not want or need Windows Server any more.

1. jake Silver badge

"Businesses want cloud agnosticism"

Do they? How many "cloud" providers swap resources in over-load situations?

That's what I thought.

Think about it.

1. kryptylomese

Re: "Businesses want cloud agnosticism"

Nobody said anything about overload - the reason that businesses want to be cloud agnostic is that it means they have a choice about which cloud provider they use (cost,resilience, features and other benefits affect the decision) and the process of relocation from one cloud to another is simplified.

@Jake, do you have the ability to actually think?

1. Gordon 10

Actually for the first time ever I'm with Jake. Businesses *may* want it, but as soon as they scope the additional overhead of keeping 2 or more cloud deployments agnostic to the underlying clouds and essentially hot swappable they run screaming for the hills.

It sounds great in theory and is a great selling point for the cloud koolaid - in practice everyone I have talked to says doing it in practice is a frikken nightmare and recommends not touching multiple vendor cloud deployments with a barge pole

1. kryptylomese

You and Jake both made the incorrect presumption that the only time that a cloud agnostic approach makes sense is when you use more than one cloud provider at once - it makes it easier to migrate too.

" in practice everyone I have talked to says doing it in practice is a frikken nightmare and recommends not touching multiple vendor cloud deployments with a barge pole" - was it your Gran you were asking?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> Have a Centos image from Microsoft does strongly indicate that they are having to accept that the business world does not want or need Windows Server any more.

Yep - we're all painfully aware of your views on the matter. Thanks for not telling us (again) about the top 500 super computers, or the "most used OS in the world".

Is that what it strongly indicates, or are they just packaging the best tools and offering them on the platform they were written for instead of porting them to windows?

Do orgs really want to hire expensive talent and build their own data science platforms, or would they rather acquire it and focus their efforts on the output?

You really should think about it.

1. kryptylomese

Er, they are not "views" that is reality and yet you cannot understand that?

"Is that what it strongly indicates, or are they just packaging the best tools and offering them on the platform they were written for instead of porting them to windows?" - More than 60% of Azure is Linux, nobody wants Windows Server any more!

"Do orgs really want to hire expensive talent and build their own data science platforms, or would they rather acquire it and focus their efforts on the output?" - LOL you are so ignorant, it is not hard to bundle packages in a Linux distro but you wouldn't know that (even Microsoft can do it.....)

Have yourself a nice cup of tea and think about why Linux scares you and why you are attached to your beloved withering Microsoft when the rest of the world is not .

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

>> More than 60% of Azure is Linux

Inventing statistics makes you look desperate, and calling them "reality" makes you look deluded.

18 months ago, Linux on Azure was 20%

(http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/10/microsoft-loves-linux-as-it-makes-azure-bigger-better/). I couldn't find anything more recent. Care to enlighten us with your facts?

Didn't think so.

3. TVU Silver badge

"Have a Centos image from Microsoft does strongly indicate that they are having to accept that the business world does not want or need Windows Server any more."

I can see where you are coming from but I wouldn't quite put it like that. I's say that Microsoft's move is a (long overdue) practical realisation and accommodation with the fact that the server OS market is now a multipolar world and that Linux and Unix are not going to go away.

2. jake Silver badge

Whatever.

I don't trust Redmond (or Cupertino, for that matter). I'm fairly certain that cognizant computer/network/security engineers will agree with my "whatever".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like