back to article ACCC goes beyond recall, bans 'hoverboards'

Self-balancing scooters, which in late 2015 and early this year set records for the number of product recall notices issued in Australia, are now subject to a wide-ranging ban from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). Ignoring the ban would put manufacturers and retailers at risk of million-dollar fines …

1. Adam 1

seems a bit confused

Firstly, there is nothing special about a hoverboard in the way it utilises batteries. It is not any more or less explosive than a laptop or an electric bike.

Unlike lead acid (the more common predecessor for electric bikes and scooters), you can't just pump in energy at full pace until it's full as the reducing efficiencies allow runaway waste heat to build up. So it is quite conceivable that cheap no brand companies based, er, in countries that lack strong safety regulation frameworks* would take dangerous shortcuts.

Blaming the product category is counter productive**. We need to call it for what it is. Products from specific vendors do not meet our electrical safety standards. Those products must not be sold and already sold units must be urgently and actively recalled.

Now I'm not drawing the same conclusion as the subby here, at least not from the article itself. All I am seeing is (from an IANAL perspective) is that the manufacturers who don't meet these safety regulations can't sell their wares here and people who otherwise acquire the said wares can't use them here. Makes sense. Li fires aren't much fun.

*which suddenly become very good once it causes embarrassment for the establishment.

**the legitimate vendors get caught up in the ban but the fly by night ones that are causing the problem are trading with a different name later the same week.

2. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Want to Have Fun

We have an app* for that.

* BanPro v2

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

How many houses?

How many fires?

You have been warned enough people.

4. Oengus
    Mushroom

A symptom, not the cause

I know of at least one case where a business was destroyed by fire caused by LiPo batteries being charged overnight on a wooden bench. This was way before Hover Boards became a fad. Model airplane enthusiasts have known about the issue of dodgy LiPo batteries and chargers for a couple of years.

Banning the Hover Boards is just the sort of knee jerk reaction our legislators and bureaucrats are famous for. Rather than tackle the source of the problem, attack the most visible symptom.

5. Pilots

Not to be racist but..

"We all flame in a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine, a Yellow Submarine" just doesn't seem to go down well.

6. paleoflatus

If you bought a car and didn't read or learn the instructions on how to drive it, you'd almost certainly have an accident. If you buy a hoverboard and don't read the instructions, the same applies. Also, I'd no sooner buy a hoverboard for a kid and leave him to charge it overnight in his bedroom, than I'd buy him a loaded pistol or hand grenade to take to school.

I'm 88 years old and my knees are failing, but I get around fine on my hoverboard and I'm not a "douche-bag", as a previous article suggested. My board is very manoeuverable, much more portable and less intrusive in crowded places than a wheel-chair and it's safe (I carry a long walking stick to aid balance when out on it).

The instructions clearly state that it charges completely in 1 1/2 to 2 hours and that it should be unplugged soon after the green light appears on the charger, to prevent overheating. I also charge it outside, in a fireproof location.

Most of our leaders are glib, rather than being deep thinkers!

7. RyanBryant

ACCC goes beyond recall, bans 'hoverboards'

I agree with the Paleoflatus points that whenever weuse them we should aware of it & read the instruction carefully. & One important pont also to remeber that collect more information before bought a product as it was certified or not? My friend & I bought two hover board from different providers. His hoverboard destroyed due to it's battery condition but mine was perfect till now as I bought it by checking from Betterscooter which is a UL certified store . All the items are safety for use.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like