back to article EE-gad! Orange webmail cut off in Blighty outage

Everything Everywhere (EE) says it has resolved a problem that left many Orange customers in the UK unable to access their email accounts. The telco did not say what caused the outage that customers say plagued them for more than two days, but service should now be restored. "We have now resolved the issues preventing some …

1. anthonyhegedus Silver badge

We always tell our customers that when they set up email at home, to never, EVER use the email service supplied by their internet service provider.

1. cosymart
      Trollface

Alternative

So, who do you recommend? AOL?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Alternative

"So, who do you recommend? AOL?"

IP over Avian Carrier.

Or Carrier Pigeon for those of you thinking AOL is the Internet.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Happy

"So, who do you recommend? AOL?"

Durr, Compuserve. 1d10t

3. wyatt

However, a very good point! Who has been around the longest and is likely to survive? Migrating existing emails isn't too much of a nightmare but updating all the accounts you have with a new email address is/would be a nightmare.

Is a 'free' provider sufficient? Even paid for services stop eventually.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Who has been around the longest and is likely to survive?

That would be Duncan McCloud eMail of the Clan McCloud eMail.

2. Phil Kingston

Do you tell them why? Or just upsell? :-)

2. davenewman

myee is down now

Right now, I cannot even log in to my mobile account on ee.co.uk. Links to the login page just generate a blank page.

1. cosymart
      Meh

Re: myee is down now

Why are you posting a sensible comment? This is The Register not BBC letters. Get a grip man, this is a test to prepare you for when BT takes over.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ee by eck!

Yorkshire internet

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Ee by eck!

It's good because they implement a modification of RFC1149, Internet Protocol Transmission by Whippet.

4. HenryandHugo

EEs email service was feeling left out, if the rest of the company can get away with performing badly then why can't email also. It'd take quite a bit of downtime to get to the standard of their customer service and complaints departments though. EE are f'kin useless!

5. Doctor_Wibble
    Black Helicopters

Wake up, sheeple!

Government puts forth plans for further mass internet snoopage and black boxes, big internet service dies shortly thereafter, happens every time with a different service and they have almost full coverage now, how is it nobody has noticed???

Also, "wake up sheeple" (see without the comma, that's really clever) by opening their eyes to the truth but don't let on that we can't yet tell if it is Her or Samaritan calling the shots...

6. Jason Hindle

Surprised service providers still bother to provide email

It's not like there aren't plenty of free-to-use (and often more functional, especially if you're a mobile user) options.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No access to my Freeserve account either!

Admittedly I haven't paid them any money for it for probably 10 years, and it's only used for stuff I don't really care about. Back then it was a useful way of having your own (sub)domain without the cost :-)

My only complaint is that they don't support any form of encryption on the POP session - they really could do better on that count.

8. Vince

"Matters could get even more complicated soon, as BT has agreed to buy EE in a £12.5bn deal."

..."has completed the purchase of"

Do keep up el reg.

9. wasp

TWO DAYS I havnt been able to get any of my e/mails with orange for SEVEN DAYS numerous calls to "ORANGE" which dont get you through to "them" you get through to someone from E BLOODY E who then say "this is not orange" or plead ignorance OR just get cut off!!! really really fed up with all this tech stuff when you have a prob you cant speak to ANYONE face to face all you get get is voices that couldnt care less!!! and one of the real big iritations with these people, is there electronic voice saying "THIS COMPANY PRIDE THERE SELF WITH THE EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!" yea right!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like