back to article Rent a denial-of-service booter for $60, wreak $720k in damage

Criminals can pay distributed-denial-of-service attackers less than US$60 to inflict as much as US$720,000 in damage to an organisation per day, researcher Dennis Schwarz says. The so-called booter or stresser services are commonly sold as would-be legitimate tools for security professionals. These tools are supposedly used to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Millions on defence. Not a penny in ransom.

2. Danny 14

extrapolation.

Why stop there! 6000 will wreak 72,000,000 in damage. Or if you win the lottery why not collapse a small country as a paltry 6,000,000 will wreak 72,000,000,000 in damage!

1. AndyS

Re: extrapolation.

Also, does it follow that one minute of down-time costing £X automatically means that 100 minutes costs £100*X?

Let's think of an analogy. If I'm 1 minute late to catch my train, I'm half an hour late for work. Therefore if I'm 10 minutes late I'll obviously be 5 hours late for work, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think the targets of these DDoS attacks should put out a good old fashion mob hit on the DDoSers, first offense gets you a bunch of broken fingers.

A/C just because well, because.

1. lurker

Yeah nice idea, except that unless the DDOSer is a total moron it's basically impossible to identify them. It's all done with bitcoins, anonymised email addresses, and typically from a basement somewhere on the other side of the earth.

4. HAL-9000
    Holmes

I've been click baited

One thing to say, bollox. Company that sells 'web security' warns of escalating cost to business of DDoScum, therefore you need to buy some of our products. Ohh really? Striaght from wikipedia 'The company's products are used to protect networks from denial-of-service attacks, botnets, computer worms, and efforts to disable network routers.[5]'. No real commercial interest then, the figures are probably right for a very limited number of cases, how many websites do 7k business per second or whatever they claim?

Another thing, does anyone proof read anymore 'abor' or 'arbor' make your minds up the advertisers can spell.

5. HAL-9000

I've been click baited

One thing to say, bollox. Company that sells 'web security' warns of escalating cost to business of DDoScum, therefore you need to buy some of our products. Ohh really? Straight from wikipedia 'The company's products are used to protect networks from denial-of-service attacks, botnets, computer worms, and efforts to disable network routers.[5]'. No real commercial interest then, the figures are probably right for a very limited number of cases, how many websites do 7k business per second or whatever they claim?

Another thing, does anyone proof read anymore 'abor' or 'arbor' make your minds up the advertisers can spell.

6. eriksolo

Stressor vendors are easy enough to find.

When I worked for a webhosting company our most basic linux plan would get stressor sellers and resellers all the time. They would sign up, start a DDoS, get their account suspended, and then complain that we had cut off their service.

But there were not hundreds of them or anything, they had all bought a "Make Money Fast" type package for $200.00 on CL or ebay in which they essentially acted as a franchise for "McDDoS" and were under the impression that their services were legitimate and even told by the Franchise that the Web Host's technical support would "set up everything for you".

What was shocking was not that this happened but that the DDoS supression industry seemed really uninterested in targeting the real live humans at the other end of a keyboard somewhere and instead more interested in selling fancy packet inspection services.

There is also one Stressor running around out there from South Carolina. His offerings have been slowly improving but his ability to conceal himself has not. He does not Franchise but does everything himself, like someone with an airbrush competing against Photoshop. It is kind of charming.

7. jimmyiceni

They're still running booters

There are and will always be many, many booter services. There are sites like:

Top 10 DDoser's (Booters/Stressers) (https://www.safeskyhacks.com/Forums/showthread.php?39-Top-10-DDoser-s-(Booters-Stressers))

The Best Booter & IP Stresser of 2014 (https://www.hackbulletin.com/Thread-Top-25-Booters-The-Best-Booter-IP-Stresser-of-2014)

That frequently update there lists almost monthly. I'm afraid this won't be a problem that can be fixed, on hackforums everywhere there are booter sites still operating like nothing happened.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like