back to article Watch out, Barclays. Google pilots Hands Free mobile payment

Google is testing a mobile payment system for those loaded down with too much shopping. The ad-flinger is piloting Hands Free, a smartphone payment app that lets you pay for goods and services without removing your phone from your pocket or bag. Hands Free uses a combination of facial-recognition, phone sensors, Wi-Fi and …

1. BugabooSue
    Happy

How can this be made safe/abused?

I tried to use the Barclay's App a couple of years ago on a JB'd iPhone 4S. It would not run as it correctly identified the phone as running a non-standard OS.

Recently, there have been many reports of hacked Apps on Android phones that are bleeding personal data all over the place, and that manufacturers/telcos do not bother to update older hardware to the latest release - leaving them open to a plethora of CVEs.

So, please excuse my ignorance, but I have a question -

How do you guys think that this can be safely implemented, taking into account the current dire state of unsupported/updated releases of Android?

(BTW: I own *BOTH* Apple an Android devices and am NOT interested in the fanboi slanging matches that often ensue from articles such as this. I wish to hear other commenters sensible opinions. Thank you xx)

Susi xx

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like