back to article Donald Trump promises 'such trouble' for Jeff Bezos and Amazon

Donald Trump has belched out another technology-related thought bubble, this time puffing in the direction of Amazon.com and Washington Post owner Jeff Bezos. At a campaign rally in Texas over the weekend, The Donald said “I have respect for Jeff Bezos but he bought The Washington Post to have political influence.” “And I …

Page:

1. Youngone Silver badge

Inherited Wealth

I have no idea what to make of Trump. He talks such a load of crap, but he's not stupid, he knows he can't do half the things he says he will.

Surely the people who cheer this rubbish know the President can't go around attacking businessmen or their holdings just because he doesn't like what they say?

I've seen the theory put forward on the Internet that he's just a shill for Hilary, but I'm not sure I'm buying that.

1. Schultz

Just a successful PR campaign

My theory is that this started as a cheap PR campaign for Trump. As in: "Hey, I'll run for president. Worst case it's a lot of cheap PR, best case I'll be the next president."

1. Tony S

Re: Just a successful PR campaign

""Hey, I'll run for president. Worst Best case it's a lot of cheap PR, best worst case I'll be the next president."

FTFY

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Just a successful PR campaign

Best case: lots and lots of cheap PR.

Worst case: President.

There, FTFY!

2. Mark 85

Re: Inherited Wealth

I think he's serious about all this. He knows he can't do it including the changing the libel laws. But his supporters are sure eating it up. He's telling the dis-affected middle class just what they want to hear. If loses the nomination or election, he'll still come out as the "good guy" in a lot of people's eyes.

It would be interesting if he were elected, how much of his posturing would be followed up by Congress.

I won't go into the "other side" of the election but I see much playing to the crowd there also.

Disclaimer: I still consider my self pretty much middle-of-the-road.

1. FreemonSandlewould

So obviously clueless it makes me think you are a 35 year old virgin. Trump had been thinking about this for years. He finally saw the opportunity was right.

You Brits should probably refrain from comment. You're hopelessly uninformed on this topic.

1. My-Handle

Re: "You Brits should probably refrain from comment. You're hopelessly uninformed on this topic."

Interesting that you should say such a thing, when you also commented "England is much more screwed up than the USA" not 26 days ago.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And a million Americans slap their foreheads and go it's this guy, he's the one who makes them think we don't get irony.

2. Lysenko

Freemon?

... are you sure that in't supposed to be "Freeper" ?

3. SolidSquid

> Trump had been thinking about this for years. He finally saw the opportunity was right.

Was the time right in 2000 when he ran and then pulled out? Even US commentators initially thought he was doing this for publicity again and would be reluctant to go the whole way because of the pressures to release tax paperwork, which might undermine his claims on how much money he's worth (he tried to sue Forbes for libel when they tried to calculate it after the property market crashed and got a number significantly less than the one he claimed)

It's also interesting the hypocrisy of Trump criticising someone for trying to buy political influence after countering claims he had supported Democrat candidates by saying he gave money to *all* parties in New York elections in an effort to buy influence and make things easier for his company

1. Someone_Somewhere

Re: the pressures to release tax paperwork

Or, perhaps, https://news.vice.com/article/the-salacious-ammo-even-donald-trump-wont-use-in-a-fight-against-hillary-clinton-bill-clinton

4. BurnT'offering

Re: "You're hopelessly uninformed on this topic."

@FreemonSandlewould: It's a start but it will be hard for us to compete with someone so hopelessly uninformed on so many topics.

5. jzl

Brits should refrain from comment?

The choice of US president affects our lives almost as much as the choice of our own prime minister, but we don't - obviously - get a vote. Commenting is the least we can do.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"The choice of US president affects our lives almost as much as more than the choice of our own prime minister, but we don't - obviously - get a vote. Commenting is the least we can do."

FTFY. British PMs can't even put their trousers on without the permission of the Secretary of State and large US corporations. At least in Puerto Rico they can have an actual debate about how the country is run; our politicians have to deflect attention - ooh, immigrants! ooh, referendum!

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
              FAIL

Re: Voyna i Mor Re: Inherited Wealth

"....At least in Puerto Rico they can have an actual debate about how the country is run...." Er, if you had read any news in the last year you might have known the Puerto Ricans can't afford to hold a debate! http://www.npr.org/2015/06/05/411710928/broke-and-barred-from-bankruptcy-puerto-rico-seeks-outside-cash

2. TechBearMike

I am a Yank, and I approve this comment.

6. Andrew Moore

"You Brits should probably refrain from comment. You're hopelessly uninformed on this topic."

We have a thing called "free speech"- you might have heard of it.

1. ShadowDragon8685

Just a few reminders:

1: What you Brits call "Free Speech," we Yankees think of as "HAHAHAHAAHAHAAAA right!" (Even if sometimes we WISH we could silence assholes like the Westboro Baptist Church and the Klan and Neo-Nazis.)

2: If you're defending your right to say something by saying "We have freedom of speech," what you're saying is "the very best argument I can put forward for what I am saying is that the government is not allowed to arrest me for saying it." It's pretty much conceding defeat in any argument, because what you're saying is that the very best argument for what you have to say is that it's not LITERALLY illegal to say it.

Now, those reminders having been said, the guy who said that Brits should refrain from weighing in on the matter of the Ass Trumpet running for President was speaking a giant load of bollocks. Just saying you should probably come up with a better argument to defend your guaranteed right to gripe about the U.S. election system than that HM the Queen won't have you thrown in irons for voicing those gripes.

Frankly, any of Trump's failings should do, anything from the fact he's reputed to sleep with a copy of Mein Kampf next to his pillow, to the fact that he's filed for bankruptcy god-knows how many times, to the fact that he is, in fact, a bombastic blowhard pandering to the worst impulses of ignorance, violence and Othering.

1. Kumar2012

"Frankly, any of Trump's failings should do, anything from the fact he's reputed to sleep with a copy of Mein Kampf next to his pillow, to the fact that he's filed for bankruptcy god-knows how many times, to the fact that he is, in fact, a bombastic blowhard pandering to the worst impulses of ignorance, violence and Othering." --- you already failed playing the Nazi card, but let me humour you since you are hapless low info leftist and can't help but being ignorant about.. .well everything... Trump hasn't gone bankrupt even ONCE, he has however put 4 companies through bankruptcy protection... that is 4 companies out of OVER 500, that's a 99.2% success rate... how terrible right? As for pandering... no you silly gibbon, he is just stating what people are already thinking, everyone is sick of illegals, everyone is sick of the fringe freak left ruling their lives, and everyone is sick of the sycophant leftwing media and Trump is finally someone they can rally behind who says it like it is, that is why he got 46% of the Hispanic vote in Nevada, you just have no clue how angry everyone is, you are going to find out though.

1. Rich 11

everyone is sick of the fringe freak left ruling their lives

Have you ever actually been to the US? Ah, no, I bet you are an American, probably with politics somewhere to the right of Genghis Khan if you think that you've had a left-wing government at any time in the last 40 years.

2. TechBearMike

@Kumar2012

Ah, the not-so-veiled threat. So ineffective, but so Trump-like. How high is the dirt mound you're standing on? Wouldn't want you to fall off, wee one. But enjoy the view while you can.

2. RedCardinal

>>We have a thing called "free speech"- you might have heard of it.

Do we still have that under our curent caring benevolent regime? Does Theresa may know? :P

7. Chika
          Mushroom

Re: Inherited Wealth #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain

You Brits should probably refrain from comment. You're hopelessly uninformed on this topic.

Oh really? Well I do know of one "Brit" who was pretty spot on about Donald Drumpf. Of course, if your one line of defence against comments that malign Drumpf is to fire off non sequiturs such as "35 year old virgin" and question the knowledge of those of us that comment about possibly the biggest mistake in Merkan politics ever, then perhaps it is us that should be asking you to refrain from comment before you make a bigger fool of yourself than you already have.

And for those with the necessary browser extensions that can be used to beat the inexplicable blocking of the YouTube video of the 22 minutes of hilarity that John Oliver put out on the subject of Donald Drumpf (or you aren't in a country that is being blocked, of course), the link is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnpO_RTSNmQ

And remember to #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Re: Inherited Wealth #MakeDonaldDrumpfAgain

Us Brits will comment all we like, thank you. We like lampooning idiots, it's a national passtime, please look into our historical documentaries "spitting image" and "yes (prime) minister".

Also, come back when you genuinely have a democracy: Hollywood repeatedly telling the world that the US has a democracy does not make it so. Even the UK is more of a democracy than the US, and the US recognises the UK as being a constitutional monarchy (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/uk.html).

8. This post has been deleted by its author

3. FreemonSandlewould

Not sure what anyone's gripe here is. What Trump said was so obviously true I'm not sure why you argue as it only makes you look dishonest or dumb.

Point Blank: Bezos bought the Washington Post for political influence. DUH!

That is even worthy of a "no shist Sherlock" or a "Thank you Captain Obvious!"

It dismays me that you can't see the obvious.

1. Mark 85

So what if it's obviously true? The point was that Trump, if elected, wants to single-handedly change the laws. That seems to be the issue.

Maybe he will ask Congress to change the law on this and other things he's been shoutie about lately, but there's a couple of bigger questions: a) would Congress go along with this? and b) would it pass muster with the Supremes?

Obama and other past Presidents have tried this. Sometimes it works, other times, not so much.

1. The_Idiot

@Mark 85's comment (but not directed at the good Sir Mark :-) )

"b) would it pass muster with the Supremes?"

The Donald doesn't think he'll have any problem with The Supremes. He's got an inside track - he bought a Diana Ross album once, so he figures he's good to go.

Sigh...

2. KeithR

"Not sure what anyone's gripe here is"

So neither you nor Trump understand the word "hypocrite", then?

1. Roq D. Kasba

It's just a prank, bro!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" So neither you nor Trump understand the word "hypocrite", then? "

surely the word 'hypocrite' is an immigrant, so Trump wouldnt want it around? (Thinking about it though, the anti-immigration stance of a second generation immigrant does show that he understands the word "irony" at least as well as Baldrick)

1. Lysenko

surely the word 'hypocrite' is an immigrant...

Damn right it is, and not just any immigrant either ... it's GREEK!! You've seen the news. Europe is being invaded by head chopping jihadis and they are all coming through GREECE!!

As a precautionary measure the USA should prohibit words like: hypocrite, idiot, moron etc. until we can figure out what these "Greeks" are up to !!

1. The_Idiot

Re: surely the word 'hypocrite' is an immigrant...

@Lysenko's remark - but not the good Lysenko...

"the USA should prohibit words like: ... idiot"

Hey! I resemble that remark! I don't want to be perhobbit... er, prodibbit... er, pregravid... er, bloody banned! (blush). <--- Not intended to offer offense, and none taken :-).

1. Lysenko

Assuming you an NBI (Natural Born Idiot)[1] then the prohibition won't apply to you. Locking you up in an internment camp somewhere in Nebraska and waterboarding you will do for the time being.

[1] Naturally NBI status can't be finally ruled upon until the recently assassinated member of the Supreme Court is replaced by a sufficiently reactionary demagogue, obsessed with the original intent of ancient manuscripts[2].

[2] No, I don't see any irony. What are you talking about Mr Ayatollah?

2. magickmark

Beware of Greeks bearing gifts!!!!

3. Michael Habel

Isn't obvious, the Greeks want to use those 'Immigrants' as leverage to get out of paying back their debts. They've already gone on official record stating that much. Though you'd probably have to do some digging to find it. Since Germany apparently will just about take anyone in these days.

Sadly the next General Election ain't due until Q4 of 2017. :( On the other hand Merkel has promised not to run again. Now if only there was some way to oust her now before she really screws us, and Europe (which has pretty much with one voice said F[REDACTED]k you! to that idea. The Brits for sure, as well as the French. Who had to deal with Two separate attacks against them last year. And the newer Eastern Block that doesn't want them either. This would be fun to watch, best advice GTFO outta Europe while ya still can!

2. Kumar2012
            Mushroom

"Thinking about it though, the anti-immigration stance of a second generation immigrant does show that he understands the word "irony" at least as well as Baldrick" ---- Nothing Ironic about it at all, Trump, along with the vast majority of Americans (including LEGAL Hispanics), is against ILLEGAL immigration, nice try (as usual) to try and mix the too, so there is nothing ironic or hypocritical about it at all, Trump's parents, like mine immigrated LEGALLY, what is so hard to understand for you leftwing dingbats about that? That is why Trump IS going to win and change the whole game, you can all sit there and gnash your teeth as the people take back the country. Nuke because that's what's happening to politics as usual in the USA!

3. TonyJ

Wow sandlewould. Just had a quick glance through your posts and...well you don't half talk some shit, eh?

Climate change is bull; anyone who doesn't agree with your socio-eco-policitcal views is a liberal pansy etc etc etc and most of your responses to whatever post you feel the need to troll tend to be argumentative and personal attacks...stay classy.

I have a lovely bridge for you to buy but something tells me you're probably happy with the one you're clearly already living under waiting for goats to come along.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

...yes, and it smells quite a lot like buying the Presidency of the US for political influence.

4. KeithR

"but he's not stupid"

Enough of these unsubstantiated claims. Cite some evidence.

5. enormous c word

I beg to differ. Trump is thick as 5hit - he has the barest understanding of the majority of what he's talking about - because he doesnt unerstand, he has no doubts. He's also manipulative, astute and surrounded by admiring flunkies and that's why he is able to speak so convincingly Trump makes even Bush Jr and Reagan appear *bright* (cumulatively speaking of course not individually)

1. P. Lee
        Paris Hilton

Trump is smart?

I think he's "Paris Hilton smart" - making a good living out of appearing stupid.

People are so annoyed with being lied to. The political elite say all the right things and change nothing. Quite a few people are willing to blow out the front door with a shotgun, just to get some fresh air. It may be damaging and cost to undo the damage in the long run, but the atmosphere inside is so fetid its making everyone sick.

It doesn't matter too much that he's unlikely to change anything. Voters just want to flex some muscle and poke some eyes. They could do it by voting for smaller parties, but they appear obsessed with money=success and won't vote for what they want in case they vote for a loser. Trump has money, therefore must be a winner and can be voted for.

1. A Ghost

@P. Lee

Trump knows exactly what he is doing.

He is the ultimate protest vote.

He's clever in that way.

However, the way in which he is stupid is this: He believes he won't die in a plane crash like the rest of them (the days of lone gun assassins are gone - take out another 100 people as well and you are good to go).

No way in hell will he get in to office. I'm surprised anyone thinks this is even a possibility. The POTUS does not run the world, he's a puppet like a Prime Minister. Kings have more power, though they pretend not to. The Queen of England runs the planet! But pretends not to even run England or the UK. There is this thing called diplomacy - can you imagine Trump taking on the Chinks, sorry, Trump moment, Chinese?

I rest my case. But it's good theatre and gives the peasants something to chatter over.

Any one remember the mighty Ron Paul?

2. Chika
          Trollface

Trump is smart?

I think he's "Paris Hilton smart" - making a good living out of appearing stupid.

Yes, but he has "all the best words!"

Heh! ;)

6. LaunchpadBS

It's like you've never seen a politician before...

7. Someone Else Silver badge
      Coat

@Youngone -- Re: Inherited Wealth

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. (Hanlon's Razor).

We are talking Donald Trump here....

8. A Ghost
      Flame

He talks such a load of crap, but he's not stupid

Actually, he talks a load of sense, but he's an idiot.

When I see people getting emotive about Trump, I immediately dismiss them, same for ad hominem against him. I've very rarely seen anyone debate his arguments in a decent fashion.

Before you start spitting foam out of the corner of your mouths, NO, I'm not a Trump supporter. He will either be murdered as a warning to others, or suffer a horrible gardening accident, as a warning to others. There is no way in hell this man will ever take over the running of America. He talks too much sense, and for that he is an idiot.

He feels invincible because of his power, but he's just one car crash away from reality.

Ignore him and what he has to say at your peril. This man is being seen as the second coming in America by those poor souls that think he has a chance to get elected. They love him. In fact, they are willing to fight for him, with their guns.

The fact is, you need a gun in America. The place is fucked. There are millions of crims running around with them, so you need to be tooled up as well. Pretty logical if you ask me. I support gun rights by the way - every American citizen should be armed. It will take centuries to sort the mess out, but eventually I would like to see a total ban on guns, with them not even being manufactured any more. So I'm a sort of gun-nut pacifist if you like.

As for Trump, he's the stalking horse to end all stalking horses. I'm surprised and both dismayed to see his supporters and his 'enemies' do not see that yet. There is more chance of Richard Nixon being re-elected.

But continue frothing at the gills, ignoring the bigger picture.

Trump won't get in. Fact. But someone else will. Do you know who that is yet? How do you think that will work out?

1. Someone Else Silver badge
        WTF?

@A Ghost -- Re: Inherited Wealth

I've very rarely seen anyone debate his arguments in a decent fashion.

How can anyone debate the "argument" that "Mexico is sending rapists" or "I'm going to get Mexico to build a wall..." without becoming a self-recursive lampoon?

I'll hang up an wait for my answer...

<crickets/>

2. Mike 16

@youngone

-- Surely the people who cheer this rubbish know the President can't go around attacking businessmen or their holdings just because he doesn't like what they say? --

Putin is also a president and he can/does act like that. Also, it appears that Trump really admires him. So expect a few changes in the U.S. if the Donald wins.

And if Trump really wants to cut down on hate speech, maybe Bezos can help him out with

http://www.amazon.co.uk/S-M-Solid-Ball-Gag/dp/B005QEPLDQ

Maybe custom fitted to him and printed with "Make America Grate Again"

1. Naselus

Re: @youngone

"Putin is also a president and he can/does act like that. Also, it appears that Trump really admires him. So expect a few changes in the U.S. if the Donald wins."

You do realise that the post of 'president' means different things in different countries, right..? Like, in some countries he's the dictator-for-life, and in others he's just a glorified Maitre d' who greets foreign dignitaries as they get off the plane.

The US is somewhere in the middle, and the president can't just change the constitution at the drop of a hat. Otherwise Obama might have tried it - he'd certainly be fairly justified in trying to do so given the demented tea party types currently reducing Congress to constant deadlock on every single issue. Trump's borderline fascist rants would struggle to get backing from even some of the hardline republicans in the House, let alone getting a majority in the Senate.

Page:

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like