back to article Google? Great firm, lovely people, says Microsoft-backed ICOMP

A Google-bashing industry group backed by Microsoft says its Google-bashing days are over. In a blog post from last week, ICOMP confirmed that it was changing its focus: While we continue to monitor the Commission’s Google investigation, we are aligning our focus to evolving interests of our membership. ICOMP now focuses on …

1. Mikel

Going underground

Microsoft's reputation managers are still out there trying to control the discussion, as fabulously ineffective as they've been for 15 years. Their puppets are still doing their dirty work in the halls of justice and in offices all over the world. It's just time to launder the relationships and make them appear more distant.

1. a_yank_lurker

Re: Going underground

The bloom of owning a new computer for the first time has worn off. For most people computers are tools. While concerned about privacy most are in the middle, some areas they are very concerned and others not so much. MS has not adjusted to changing customer attitudes and not grasped customers are a fickle bunch at best. Customers will leave you if they decide you are not worthy of their business.

Also, it is very hard to control the narrative unless you are above board in your dealings with customers. Complaints about Facebook and Google policies by MS have serious problem. Facebook and Google are more transparent about what they do than MS. Thus, I trust (sort of at least) Facebook and Google even if I dislike some of their policies but I do not trust MS at all. I notice Facebook and Google do not need the number of shills MS needs to defend themselves.

Trust does not mean one approves of the other's actions or policies as much as one take the other's word a face value. If Google says they do something and are open about it, I can dislike the policy but I can trust Google's corporate word the next time that they play straight.

1. fandom

Re: Going underground

Microsoft bought a stake in Facebook back in 2007, I don't think they have ever complained about Facebook policies.

2. Mark 85

Scroogled?

Microsoft has toned down its anti-Google rhetoric since Satya Nadella took the CEO’s reins, parking its aggressive 'Scroogled' attack ads from a couple of years ago. The ads served to draw a line between Google’s consumer behaviour processing and Microsoft’s alternatives.

I suspect that this is because MS is adapting the Google model of slurp the data and serve ads to the OS. Or will be soon. There's been much speculation on this and it seems logical. Can't be calling Google slime-buckets when MS is about to do the same, right?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are they going to investigate Microsoft's data slurp from all the win 10 forced installs? I very much doubt it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sharing access to each others systems is mutually advantageous

Whether mobile, local, social, commercial ... interfaces to each others hardware/software via open APIs benefit Google and Microsoft. People thinking closed device (Apple, Kindle) device or closed App (Facebook, Amazon) will become dead dodo birds.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like